[comp.fonts] Bitstream Fontware and Personal TeX Inc FIP

jg@prg.ox.ac.uk (Jeremy Gibbons) (11/08/90)

I have been charged with the responsibility of investigating other typefaces
for use with TeX and LaTeX. One suggestion, from TUGBoat volume 9 number 2, is
the combination of Bitstream Fontware fonts and Personal TeX Inc's Font
Interface Package.

Fontware fonts are outline fonts, with some extra `rules' to ensure even stem
weights and so on. PTI's FIP is an MS-DOS program to convert these `smart
outlines' into the .pk bitmaps and .tfm metrics that TeX uses. The combination
gets a very good write up in the TUGBoat article.

I have a couple of queries.  Firstly, does anyone have any experience of
Bitstream Fontware fonts at 300dpi? Their glossy brochure is, of course, run
off on a proper typesetter, but we can't afford that. More generally, I
suppose, how comprehensive will the Bitstream fonts be? Do they (or can they)
have slanted as well as italic variants? Small caps (no, I don't mean caps in
a smaller size)?

Secondly, has anyone tried using the PTI package? Does it work? Is it easy to
turn the handle and get .pk's and .tfm's out?

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Jeremy

*-----------------------------------------------------------------------*
|  Jeremy.Gibbons@prg.oxford.ac.uk          Programming Research Group  |
|                                    11 Keble Road, Oxford OX1 3QD, UK  |
*-----------------------------------------------------------------------*

teexdwu@ioe.lon.ac.uk (DOMINIK WUJASTYK) (11/08/90)

In article <JG.90Nov7215133@msc1.prg.ox.ac.uk> jg@prg.ox.ac.uk (Jeremy Gibbons) writes:
>I have been charged with the responsibility of investigating other typefaces
>for use with TeX and LaTeX. One suggestion, from TUGBoat volume 9 number 2, is
>the combination of Bitstream Fontware fonts and Personal TeX Inc's Font
>Interface Package.

Hello Jeremy,

I've got the PTI fontware stuff and I have to admit two things: first it
is quite good, second, I don't ever use it.

To explain.

The PTI package is rather good.  My stuff is now two or three years old:
I don't know if there has been any upgrade, since PTI support in the UK has
all but collapsed, and I haven't been able to get an answer from California.
What you get is a bunch of programs that
o  translate Bitstream outline fonts to PXL format
o  read a DVI file to see what BS fonts it calls, and make a batchfile
   to create them,
o  a program to selectively unpack BS fonts from the disk on which they
   are delivered,
o  Plain TeX macros to support the BS fonts Very clever, some of these,
   with unexpected things like fancy hanging punctuation and very tricky
   things for special spacing.
o  Copious and good documentation, though very technical.

I have used the BS fonts at 300dpi, and they look good.  The Times
Roman -- oops, sorry, Dutch, in particular stands up well beside CM.
Dutch is much less refined, i.e., there is not the strong contrast and
hairline strokes, but at 300dpi that's an advantage.  It is certainly a
novel and delightful experience having access to a real typeface
library, although buying new fonts can get expensive.

(It's worth keeping an eye on your colleagues who use Word or
WordPerfect, though, since these programs are sometimes delivered
with vouchers for getting free Bitstream fonts.)

The program that generates the PXLs from the outlines has lots and lots
of options: you can adjust the slant, tracking, character set, and much
else.  I don't recall a small caps face, though.

You don't get macros supporting latex, but Chris Martin did a BS lfonts.tex
in 1988 that works very well, seamlessly allowing you to pump out an ordinary
LaTeX document in Dutch face if you choose.

The drawbacks are
o  It's silly generating PXL fonts.  These only have 128 chars, whereas the
   BS outline font files seem to contain about 300 chars.  So the options
   allow you to generate three different "complement" fonts from the one
   outline font.  This means you're juggling fonts when you need not, if
   you just had the use of 256 char fonts.  This problem goes back to a
   time when drivers didn't normally support 256 char fonts, but this is
   de rigeur now, and widely accepted.  Maybe PTI has improved this.
o  Again, it's silly generating PXL fonts; you just have to turn each one
   into PK.
o  The programs that PTI supplies are BIG, as are the BS outline font files.
   Write off about 250k for binaries and almost another 100k for each
   font outline.
o  Finally, my most trenchant criticism.  If the above don't worry you, fine.
   You do your work in Dutch, and are happy.  Then you think "my book is
   ready, time to send it along to the typesetter".  Before I ever bought
   the PTI/BS stuff I phoned PTI and got an assurance that you could
   generate bitmaps at 1270 dpi and higher.  And you can.  But they
   don't work.  What happens is that you pump out a copy of your Dutch
   font at 1270 dpi.  Change the PXL to a PK, and put it in the proper
   directory.  Then you run your DVI file through DVITOPS (or DVIPS, or
   whatever), and there you are with a nice PostScript file containing
   the bitmaps of the fonts at high res.  Then you send this file to
   your local Linotronic, and ... get back a mess.  All the spacing of
   the characters is mad, completely out.  Characters all overprinted
   and the wrong size.  In short, total failure.

   It was James Clark who sorted this problem out for me.  Apparently
   the PXL files generated by the BS/PTI software has some parameter
   wrong.  Forgive me if I can't remember the details now.  But James
   wrote a little C utility called FIXPXRES that you run on the PXL
   file, and this solves the problem.  Then you make your PK and carry
   on as usual.

For my use, this was the straw that broke the camel's back.  One step
too many in a path that is already too twisty.  And with PostScript
font support now easily available through VF files, which are all
provided gratis with DVIPS, I think that's the way to go.
I sent James Clark's C source for FIXPXRES to PTI, but they never
said anything to me about having upgraded their product, or anything.
Perhaps they have, and I don't know about it.  If so, I'd be glad to
learn about the improvements.

My summary?  A potentially excellent product, released with serious,
but fixable, flaws, but apparently never upgraded.

Dominik

psycho@casaba.ucsb.edu (Scot Kellan Forbes) (11/14/90)

In article <JG.90Nov7215133@msc1.prg.ox.ac.uk> jg@prg.ox.ac.uk (Jeremy Gibbons) writes:
>Fontware fonts are outline fonts, with some extra `rules' to ensure even stem
>weights and so on. PTI's FIP is an MS-DOS program to convert these `smart
>outlines' into the .pk bitmaps and .tfm metrics that TeX uses. The combination

I'm sure this has been asked several times already, but where can I
find information on the format used in Fontware outlines?  The scaling
algorithms would also be very useful if they are available, or scaling
algorithms in general.  In fact, any good documentation on outline
fonts and scaling would be appreciated.  (Do I sound just a little
indecisive? :)

Thanx in advance!

Scot Forbes
psycho@cs.ucsb.edu

glenn@huxley.huxley.bitstream.com (Glenn P. Parker) (11/14/90)

In article <7191@hub.ucsb.edu> psycho@casaba.ucsb.edu,
(Scot Kellan Forbes) writes:
> I'm sure this has been asked several times already, but where can I
> find information on the format used in Fontware outlines?  The scaling
> algorithms would also be very useful if they are available, or scaling
> algorithms in general.

Sorry, but the format of FontWare files is proprietary to Bitstream, as is
the software used to render them into bitmap fonts.  However, Bitstream
does license this technology, if anyone is _extremely_ interested.

--
Glenn P. Parker       glenn@bitstream.com       Bitstream, Inc.
                      uunet!huxley!glenn        215 First Street

psycho@mango.ucsb.edu (Scot Kellan Forbes) (11/15/90)

In article <GLENN.90Nov14091357@huxley.huxley.bitstream.com> <glenn@bitstream.com> (Glenn Parker) writes:
>In article <7191@hub.ucsb.edu> psycho@casaba.ucsb.edu,
>(Scot Kellan Forbes) writes:
>> I'm sure this has been asked several times already, but where can I
>> find information on the format used in Fontware outlines?  The scaling

>Sorry, but the format of FontWare files is proprietary to Bitstream, as is
>the software used to render them into bitmap fonts.  However, Bitstream

Actually, I knew this.  My apologies.  Perhaps I should have said
Fontware-type outlines.  I would swear I've seen quite a few posts
on this in the past, but it never concerned me before.  How can one
go about reading posts-gone-by?

leban@par3.cs.umass.edu (Bruce Leban) (11/17/90)

>From psycho@casaba.ucsb.edu (Scot Kellan Forbes):
> ... where can I
> find information on the format used in Fontware outlines?  The scaling
> algorithms would also be very useful ...

>From <glenn@bitstream.com> (Glenn Parker):
>Sorry, but the format of FontWare files is proprietary to Bitstream, as is
>the software used to render them into bitmap fonts.  However, Bitstream
>does license this technology, if anyone is _extremely_ interested.

Just because Bitstream considers the format proprietary doesn't mean someone
else can't crack it and then release the format.  You can't copyright a data
format independent of the data and if it were patented I'm sure you (Glenn)
would have said (if not, you reduce the value of your patent -- you lose the
legal presumption that violators knew you had a patent).

IMHO, open formats are superior.  I can now buy Type 1 and 3 PostScript fonts
from LOTS of people, make my own and even find freeware fonts on the net.  I
can't do that with a secret format like Fontware.  Of course, Adobe used to
only have one public format, but they changed.

	--- Bruce
	Leban@cs.umass.edu  @amherst.mass.usa.earth

glenn@huxley.huxley.bitstream.com (Glenn P. Parker) (11/17/90)

In article <22705@dime.cs.umass.edu>,
leban@par3.cs.umass.edu (Bruce Leban) writes:
> Just because Bitstream considers the format proprietary doesn't mean someone
> else can't crack it and then release the format.  You can't copyright a data
> format independent of the data...

What can I say, Bruce?  I answered Scot's question as clearly and as
accurately as I could, and I followed up with him via private e-mail.

Were you actually trying to contribute something useful here?