[comp.fonts] Postscript Fonts for the Macintosh

st902824@pip.cc.brandeis.edu (Mad Adler) (11/16/90)

Does anyone know of any places where cheap postscript fonts for the Mac
are available?

         -MAD

brownd@agnes.acc.stolaf.edu (David H. Brown) (11/17/90)

In article <0093FC26.50218FC0@pip.cc.brandeis.edu> st902824@pip.cc.brandeis.edu (Mad Adler) writes:
>Does anyone know of any places where cheap postscript fonts for the Mac
>are available?
>
>         -MAD
	Just recently, the following was posted:

>Article 1313 of comp.fonts:
>Newsgroups: comp.fonts
>Subject: An archive for Mac fonts...
>Date: Tue, 13 Nov 90 07:10:22 GMT

>[...]   I just thought I'd let
>you know of an archive that I help to maintain over at the
>University of Michigan that has a serious amount of fonts for
>the Macintosh family of computers (including ones not found on
>any other Internet/Bitnet sites).

>To access the archive, FTP anonymously to UM-MTS.CC.UMICH.EDU
>(35.1.1.43) or it's clone UB-MTS.CC.UMICH.EDU (35.1.1.47), and
>after typing "CD PC2:", you can "GET !INDEX" which will list
>the 1000's of files (including a few megs of fonts) on-line.

>Mike@ccs.itd.umich.edu.

	I have been able to get the index, but I have not yet been able to
ftp the actual fonts themselves. Their ftp server seems to be somewhat
unusual... I've mailed Mike for some help but no response yet.

	But in general, there does seems to be a lot available via ftp.

Dave

St. Olaf may or may not have nothing    | M M | M M M | M M | M M M | M M |
to do with the things I talk about.     | M M | M M M | M M | M M M | M M |
                                        | M M | M M M | M M | M M M | M M |
Dave Brown: brownd@thor.acc.stolaf.edu  | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
"I _like_ programming the DX-7!"        |_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|

tsui@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Yufeng Tsui) (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov16.183943.7467@acc.stolaf.edu> brownd@agnes.acc.stolaf.edu () writes:
| 	I have been able to get the index, but I have not yet been able to
| ftp the actual fonts themselves. Their ftp server seems to be somewhat
| unusual... I've mailed Mike for some help but no response yet.
|
| 	But in general, there does seems to be a lot available via ftp.
|
| Dave

There are a lot of nice ps fonts (including several type I fonts) in
mike's archive. (Thanks mike!!).  To get the file, after you do a cd
pc2:,  you should issue commands like:
ftp> recv fo/author author

It will put the file fo/author into author in your current directory.
Mike told me the other end is a mac, not a unix machines.

Hope that helps.

--yufeng
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  IIII
Yufeng Tsui, UCS of Indiana University. Bloomington , IN  47405      UU II UU
{att,ames,rutgers,purdue}!iuvax!copper!tsui                           U II U
tsui@indiana.edu, tsui@wood1.ucs.indiana.edu (NeXT mail)              U II U
tsuiy@iubacs.bitnet (forwarded)                                         UU
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  IIII

philip@beeblebrox.dle.dg.com (Philip Gladstone) (11/18/90)

In article <72427@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> tsui@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Yufeng Tsui) writes:

tsui> There are a lot of nice ps fonts (including several type I fonts) in
tsui> mike's archive. (Thanks mike!!).  To get the file, after you do a cd
tsui> pc2:,  you should issue commands like:
tsui> ftp> recv fo/author author

tsui> It will put the file fo/author into author in your current directory.
tsui> Mike told me the other end is a mac, not a unix machines.

Unfortunately for me, I have a Unix machine. Is there a description
(or even source) somewhere for undoing BinHex 4.0 and StuffIt packing?
Without this, I am lost!

--
Philip Gladstone
Development Lab Europe

mike@ccs.cc.umich.edu (Mike Dautermann) (11/19/90)

Mike Dautermann - U-M Ann Arbor, Dearborn and the World
Mike @ ccs.itd.umich.edu
( ( ( (((  In Stereo  ))) ) ) )

shirriff@sprite.berkeley.edu (Ken Shirriff) (11/20/90)

In article <PHILIP.90Nov17180657@beeblebrox.dle.dg.com> philip@beeblebrox.dle.dg.com (Philip Gladstone) writes:
>Is there a description
>(or even source) somewhere for undoing BinHex 4.0 and StuffIt packing?

I just tried to find the same thing out to look at these fonts.
Thanks to Tim Waire, I found that there are programs available by
anonymous ftp from sumex-aim (36.44.0.6) to undo binhex and stuffit.
They are in info-mac/unix and are unsit-15.shar and mcvert-15.shar.
Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out anything useful to do with the
fonts once I got them. (Anyone know how to convert these mac fonts to
generic bitmaps?)

Ken Shirriff		shirriff@sprite.Berkeley.EDU
"I'll get my revenge on all of society!  I'll build a mighty criminal empire!"

norman@d.cs.okstate.edu (Norman Graham) (11/21/90)

From article <9088@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, by shirriff@sprite.berkeley.edu (Ken Shirriff):
> Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out anything useful to do with the
> fonts once I got them. (Anyone know how to convert these mac fonts to
> generic bitmaps?)

You might want to try the unAdobe utility (also available on
sumex-aim.stanford.edu (36.44.0.6) as info-mac/util/un-adobe.hqx).

UnAdobe doesn't convert the fonts to bitmaps, but it does extract the
postscript code from Type 1 faces; you can then include the code in your
own postscript programs. Here's the blurb from unAdobe's header:

  unAdobe is an application that converts an Adobe type 1 font into printable
  ASCII characters that can be edited into a postscript document.  Written by
  Jerry Keough and Ted Ede of the Mitre Corp.

Hope this helps.

Norm
--
Norman Graham   <norman@a.cs.okstate.edu>   {cbosgd,rutgers}!okstate!norman
The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect the views of

norman@d.cs.okstate.edu (Norman Graham) (11/21/90)

From article <1990Nov21.054603.27426@d.cs.okstate.edu>, by norman@d.cs.okstate.edu (Norman Graham):
> You might want to try the unAdobe utility (also available on
> sumex-aim.stanford.edu (36.44.0.6) as info-mac/util/un-adobe.hqx).

Sorry... I forgot to mention that unAdobe is a Macintosh utility. To
use it you'll have to move unAdobe and your fonts to a Mac, process the
fonts, and move the resulting Postscript code back to your original
machine.

Norm