[comp.fonts] Need high-speed postscipt laser printer recomendations

amc@cup.portal.com (Alan Michael Crawley) (11/20/90)

I need a laser printer that can produce Adobe type faces in a more
reasonable period of time than that of an HP laserjet II with a
postscript cartridge in it.  Of course, downloadable soft fonts are
out of the question.

Application is proofing technical publications and VAR catalogs and
must be identical (except for resolution) as final lino output.

God bless you netland!

jims@svcs1.UUCP (Jim Serwer) (11/25/90)

In article <36076@cup.portal.com> amc@cup.portal.com (Alan Michael Crawley) writes:
>I need a laser printer that can produce Adobe type faces in a more
>reasonable period of time than that of an HP laserjet II with a
>postscript cartridge in it.  ...

I use an accelerator board called the ConoDesk 6000 with a Canon engine.
It is made by Gradco Systems, 714-454-0108.  My dealer was U.S. Laser
Printers, 408-268-6618, or 408-268-4997.

Gradco's hype says it makes printing 25 to 30 times faster.  That is
certainly exagerated, because the same hype sheet gives 2 example timings
that calculate out to 15 and 6 times faster.

I have never had the opportunity to run timing comparisons for the same
Postscript file on this versus the HP.  If you send me a short postscript
file, I will time it and we can compare notes.

In any case, when I print my resume from "Publish It" under MS-DOS, it
takes roughly 20 seconds per page, which is almost the maximum speed of
my Canon CX.  I have never-ever seen anything like the 3 to 5 minutes
per page about which some people complain.  (I generally print all text,
no pictures.)

The ConoDesk 6000 plugs into an IBM PC compatible.  The bad news is that
it only works under MS-DOS.  They do not have a UNIX driver.  Also the
typefaces are not true Adobe, but close enough for my purposes.

Jim Serwer.  408-296-4763