[comp.fonts] installing Script Manager in Mac System 6.0.7

js@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jay Sekora) (11/20/90)

A visiting scholar here has a grant to figure out how to do Mongolian
on the Mac.  He's been implementing this on a Mac SE running Arabic
System 6.0.3 (or, I think, a composite of the Arabic and U.S.
systems---it's bilingual).  This system has Script Manager installed,
and he is able to use Script Manager with his Mongolian fonts.

Now he wants to port the system to a Mac IIsi, which requires System
6.0.7.  How can he install the Script Manager in 6.0.7 (or can he)?
We tried copying obvious-seeming resources and system files from the
6.0.3 system to 6.0.7, and it didn't work---we didn't get the little
Script Manager icons at the right-hand side of the menu bar.

So, the question is, what does one have to do to install the Script
Manager in a System?  Is there an Installer Script for it floating
around, or is it a matter of knowing what resources to copy?

Any help will be appreciated.  This is your chance to help bring the
joys of WYSIWIG computing to Mongolia.
Jay Sekora                           | internet:     js@princeton.edu
Information Centers Consultant       | bitnet:         js@pucc.bitnet
Princeton University                 | phone             609/258-6007

iad@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Ivan Derzhanski) (11/26/90)

In article <4161@idunno.Princeton.EDU> js@Princeton.EDU writes:
>A visiting scholar here has a grant to figure out how to do Mongolian
>on the Mac.  He's been implementing this on a Mac SE running Arabic
>System 6.0.3 (or, I think, a composite of the Arabic and U.S.
>systems---it's bilingual).  This system has Script Manager installed,
>and he is able to use Script Manager with his Mongolian fonts.

[...]
>Any help will be appreciated.  This is your chance to help bring the
>joys of WYSIWIG computing to Mongolia.

Excuse me, but what kind of Mongolian fonts is the whole matter about?
Mongolian (i.e. the language spoken and written in Mongolia) uses the
Cyrillic alphabet, more precisely, Russian with two extra letters. There
are many Russian fonts for the MacIntosh, and adding those two letters
couldn't be called a problem.

Or maybe you mean the medieval Mongolian writing system that used to be
used for the Buddhist scripture? That would be more challenging, although
I wonder how many people in Mongolia know it nowadays... anyway, it has
nothing to do with the joys of WYSIWYG computing.

--
Ivan A. Derzhanski   iad@chaos.brandeis.edu      Any clod can have the facts,
MB 1766 / Brandeis University                but having an opinion is an art.

js@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jay Sekora) (11/27/90)

A couple people wrote to straighten out my confusion about what
exactly I was looking for.  The Script Manager is built into current
versions of Mac System Software.  What my colleague wanted to do was
install a particular "Script Interface System", which is a separate
thing.  He wanted the Arabic Script Interface System because Mongolian
(as he wants to write it) is (evidently) similar to Arabic in (1)
being written right-to-left (it's traditionally written vertically)
and (2) involving an extensive system of ligatures.

Jim Walker <76367.2271@compuserve.com> provided the missing piece I
needed; there is a flag somewhere in the 'itlc' resource which tells
the system which interfaces are installed.  Copying the 'itlc'
resource did the trick.

In article <1990Nov25.220215.10132@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu>, iad@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Ivan Derzhanski) writes:
>In article <4161@idunno.Princeton.EDU> js@Princeton.EDU writes:
>>A visiting scholar here has a grant to figure out how to do Mongolian
>>on the Mac.  He's been implementing this on a Mac SE running Arabic
>>System 6.0.3 (or, I think, a composite of the Arabic and U.S.
>>systems---it's bilingual).  This system has Script Manager installed,
>>and he is able to use Script Manager with his Mongolian fonts.
>>
>[...]
>>
>>Any help will be appreciated.  This is your chance to help bring the
>>joys of WYSIWIG computing to Mongolia.
>
>Excuse me, but what kind of Mongolian fonts is the whole matter about?
>Mongolian (i.e. the language spoken and written in Mongolia) uses the
>Cyrillic alphabet, more precisely, Russian with two extra letters. There
>are many Russian fonts for the MacIntosh, and adding those two letters
>couldn't be called a problem.

The Cyrillic alphabet was officially adopted in Mongolia some time
after Mongolia became Communist.  It never entirely supplanted the
native(*) Mongolian script in popular usage.  With the liberalization
of the past few years, the native script experienced a resurgence.  It
recently (within the past year or so) became the official script again.

  (*) I'm using ``native'' in a loose sense here.

>Or maybe you mean the medieval Mongolian writing system that used to be
>used for the Buddhist scripture? That would be more challenging, although
>I wonder how many people in Mongolia know it nowadays... anyway, it has
>nothing to do with the joys of WYSIWYG computing.

My understanding is that everyone in Mongolia who is literate in
Mongolian knows it nowadays.  That's what current street signs and
public documents are in, and has always been what most private
correspondence was in.  They also know the Cyrillic system, which was
official until recently.  (Incidentally, my colleague's system, at
least the last time I checked, includes the Cyrillic system in the
Mongolian version of the Chicago font, so that files and folders can
have English (ASCII) names or Cyrillic-Mongolian names.  Presumably
the real Mongolian alphabet would be used for word processing and such
production purposes.