[comp.fonts] Windows font managers/generators

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (11/28/90)

 Can anybody comment on the strengths/weaknesses of various font
generators and managers for MS Windows 3.0 or refer me to reviews
of same ? I'm aware of a few released/announced:

WYSIFONTS (Softcraft)
HP (dont know the name)
Adobe Type Manager
Facelift (Bitstream)

any others ?

Jeff Sicherman
sichermn@beach.csulb.edu
up the net without a .sig

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (11/28/90)

I use Adobe Type Manager that I bout for $65US and think it is well done
and worth the bucks. Not only does my screen look nice, but it is
also accurate to character shape and position and the line ends on my dot
matrix match thos of the laser. I also get some fantastic large character
output on the dot matrix which isn't possible without ATM.

One you missed is Zenographics SuperPrint. My understanding from
talking to a superprint owner is that it is a set of LaserJet
print drivers for windows and Bitstream fonts that work with these
drivers. The person I spoke to was disappointed in the fonts. Wants
real Adobe fonts. Should be possible to use Adobe fonts with SuperPrint.
The printer drivers are fast for the LaserJet. Real Fast. My understanding
is that the SuperPrint font technology only works with their printer
drivers and NOT other windows drivers thus you get none of the benefits
on scummy dot matrix printers. I would like to hear from other sources
whether this is an accurate description.

Like I said, I am happy with ATM!! I am also happy with Adobe in general.
tj

2hmvknack@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Scott...) (11/29/90)

--
Scott Valler