[comp.fonts] ATM for windows and fonts from Bitstream?!?

preston@lll-crg.llnl.gov (David R Preston) (12/05/90)

According to the user guide for Adobe Type Manager for Windows:

	The ATM program is compatible with...Type 1 format font
	software, including the Adobe Type Library fonts, and Type
	1 font software package[s] from Linotype, Agfa-Compugraphic,
	Varityper, Monotype, Autologic, Bitstream, and The Font
	Company.

All well and good, except I called Bitstream today and asked for a list
or catalog of their fonts that can be used with ATM.  They told me that
their fonts can't be used with ATM.  I said "Don't you sell type 1 fonts?"
The reply was "We have scalable fonts.  They are not true Type 1 fonts."

At least I think he said "They are not true Type 1 fonts",
maybe it was "They are not TrueType 1.0 fonts"  :-)

Anyway, sounds like what we have here is a corporate failure to commun'cate.
-david

        preston@lll-crg.llnl.gov
	B4 f+ t- k+ s-/+ r P8/3 S6 b+/- g- l-/+ y- z/! n o+/++ x a+ u v-- j++
        D. R. Preston  584 Castro St. #614 SF CA 94114 USA

preston@lll-crg.llnl.gov (David R Preston) (12/07/90)

In article <87251@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> preston@lll-crg.llnl.gov (David R Preston) writes:
>According to the user guide for Adobe Type Manager for Windows:
>
>	The ATM program is compatible with...Type 1 format font
>	software, including the Adobe Type Library fonts, and Type
>	1 font software package[s] from Linotype, Agfa-Compugraphic,
>	Varityper, Monotype, Autologic, Bitstream, and The Font
>	Company.
>
>All well and good, except I called Bitstream today and asked for a list
>or catalog of their fonts that can be used with ATM.  They told me that
>their fonts can't be used with ATM.  I said "Don't you sell type 1 fonts?"
>The reply was "We have scalable fonts.  They are not true Type 1 fonts."

The situation has been explained to me.  Bitstream sells Type 1 fonts.
Bitstream sells Type 1 fonts that can be used for ATM.  On the Mac.  Not
on the PC.  Bitsteam sells scalable fonts that can be used by some
applications on the PC, but not Windows, or ATM for Windows.  Yet.
Adobe erred in the "user guide" for ATM for Windows; perhaps they
just included the entire list of companies licensed to sell Type 1 fonts,
without considering whether they were actually available in PC format.

glenn@huxley.huxley.bitstream.com (Glenn P. Parker) (12/07/90)

In article <87421@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> preston@lll-crg.llnl.gov,
(David R Preston) writes:
> Bitsteam sells scalable fonts that can be used by some applications on
> the PC, but not Windows, or ATM for Windows.  Yet.
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A slight correction:

Bitstream sells FaceLift, which provides scalable fonts for Windows 2.x and
3.0 applications, similar to ATM for Windows.  In addition, there are other
versions of FaceLift for some non-Windows applications.  The main point
here is that the fonts that come with FaceLift are not Type 1 fonts, so ATM
cannot use them.  I have suggested that Bitstream's sales people should
state this more clearly for future callers.

FWIW, FaceLift and ATM for Windows can be run simultaneously (giving you
the best of both worlds :-).

-Glenn-

--
Glenn P. Parker       glenn@bitstream.com       Bitstream, Inc.
                      uunet!huxley!glenn        215 First Street