[comp.fonts] Downloading PostScript fonts

colella@emav51.webo.dg.com (Wayne Colella) (12/04/90)

Hi, folks.

I have a question about fonts that I hope is appropriate to post here.
I'm most often using PageMaker 4.0 and a LaserWriter II.  I know that
when printing a PageMaker file, the appropriate PostScript fonts will be
downloaded automatically to the LaserWriter RAM, but then flushed from
the printer when the job is done.  I know that if I download fonts
manually (with Font Downloader, or something), the fonts will stay
resident in the printer's memory until it is powered down or until more
space is needed for another font to be downloaded.

Question: Is there a technique or utility available so that I could just
print the PageMaker (or other) file without having to either
	(1) wait for the fonts to be downloaded every time I print it or
	(2) manually download,
yet cause the downloaded fonts to remain in the LaserWriter's memory? Or
am I totally confused about the whole thing?

Thanks for any help,

Wayne Colella	colella@emav51.webo.dg.com

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (12/05/90)

In article <1187@dg.dg.com> colella@emav51.webo.dg.com (Wayne Colella) writes:

>Question: Is there a technique or utility available so that I could just
>print the PageMaker (or other) file without having to either
>	(1) wait for the fonts to be downloaded every time I print it or
>	(2) manually download,
>yet cause the downloaded fonts to remain in the LaserWriter's memory? Or
>am I totally confused about the whole thing?

Wayne--I have been using PageMaker and the Apple LaserWriter since version
1.0 of each. As far as I know, either you gotta let PageMaker download the
fonts or do it yourself.

The reason PageMaker font downloads take so long is that PM downloads and
then releases fonts on a block-by-block basis--that is, if you have three
text blocks on a page, it will download the font(s) for the first block,
then release those fonts, download the font(s) for the second.. and so on.
(Note: Actually, I know this is true of earlier version of PageMaker. I
checked the 4.0 manual and it does not specify "block" or "page"--just says
PageMaker keeps the fonts in memory only as long as needed to print your
publication. So Aldus may have changed it to a "by page" or even "by publi-
cation" download, but I don't think so... read on.)

The reason for this technique is that the earlier LaserWriters had very
little free memory for downloadable fonts, and it was pretty easy to make
a page with more fonts than the LaserWriter could handle--giving the
dreaded "Out of Memory" printer error message. So they designed PM to
image a block at a time--that way, you couldprint even a very font-heavy
page, simply by making sure that the text was broken up into blocks and that
no single block contained more than one or two or three DL fonts. (Remember,
the fonts for each block get released from the LW's memory as the block
is finished.) The trade-off, of course, is speed.

The LaserWriter IIs have more memory for DL fonts, and so the block-by-block
method is probably not necessary to prevent chokeups. Therefore, you probably
will get the best results if you download at least the one or two most
frequently used DL fonts in your document. Those fonts will stay in your
printer's memory until you turn it off, but it has memory to spare.

CE Software makes a very useful DA called LaserStatus that lets you make
"sets" of fonts to download. It has other LaserWriter utilities as well--
reset printer, check to see what fonts are currently resident, and so on.
A worthwhile investment.

--Kathy

P.S. My explanation above may be oversimplified--if so, forgive me. The
details were explained to me long ago. The description above is my mental
model; I believe it's correct in all major respects, and it explains the
observed behavior...
:   Kathy Strong               :  "Try our Hubble-Rita: just one shot,     :
:  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   and everything's blurry"                :
:   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :                           --El Arroyo     :
:..........................................................................:

grahams@milton.u.washington.edu (Stephen Graham) (12/06/90)

In article <1187@dg.dg.com> colella@emav51.webo.dg.com (Wayne Colella) writes:

>Question: Is there a technique or utility available so that I could just
>print the PageMaker (or other) file without having to either
>	(1) wait for the fonts to be downloaded every time I print it or
>	(2) manually download,
>yet cause the downloaded fonts to remain in the LaserWriter's memory? Or
>am I totally confused about the whole thing?

You don't say what type of LW II you're using. However, it is possible
to attach a hard disk to a II NTX for font storage. Further details
can be found in the NTX documentation.

As far as I know, this is the only way to solve your problem.
It also has the advantage of freeing up Mac hard disk space.

Steve Graham
graham@isis.ee.washington.edu

asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam Smith) (12/06/90)

> You don't say what type of LW II you're using. However, it is possible
> to attach a hard disk to a II NTX for font storage. Further details
> can be found in the NTX documentation.

Hey, the LaserWriter is a VERY nice printer, no arguements, but it also VERY
expensive. Probably the best deal going for PostScript printers equipped
with a SCSI port (for the aforementioned hard disk) is the GCC BLPII. The
street price for one in Canada is about $3k. Compared to the 5 digits you'll
pay for an NTX II, it's a good deal. Depends on your needs really. The whole
point here is that there are more alternatives than just the IINTX. A SCSI
port on your printer can save you a LOT of hassles and time, but shop for
the best deal. There are a number of printers on the market that can address
your needs.

 Adam Smith                     Genius - Graphic Artist - Bad Mood Guy
 The Chameleon Papers                           Vancouver, BC   CANADA
 "I'd give my eyeteeth to have a Macintosh--unfortunately, due to
  Apple's pricing policies, that's not enough"

doug@eris.berkeley.edu (Doug Merritt) (12/09/90)

In article <y33qT1w163w@questor.wimsey.bc.ca> asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam Smith) writes:
> Probably the best deal going for PostScript printers equipped
>with a SCSI port (for the aforementioned hard disk) is the GCC BLPII. The

What's the full name (and city/state) of the company? I think our company
should buy a SCSI PostScript printer; this sounds good.

Anyone use this (or any other moderately priced SCSI/ethernet P.S. printers)
on Suns? Is this an Adobe-licensed PostScript?
	Doug
	Doug Merritt		doug@eris.berkeley.edu (ucbvax!eris!doug)
			or	uunet.uu.net!crossck!dougm