[net.followup] B-52s use force.

tad@killer.UUCP (Tad Marko) (08/16/86)

In article <1212@loral.UUCP>, miller@loral.UUCP (David P. Miller) writes:
> Reprint from the 8-4-86 issue of Design News:

[...reprint of article...]

>         Wait a minute, 1988 (and beyond) ??. All along I was under the
> 	distinct impression that we where going to scrap these B-52s in
> 	favor of the new B-1Bs. What happened ?. It couldn't possibly be
> 	Grann-Rudman-Hollings !!.
>
> 						 BIG DAVE.

Sorry, but the idea was never to scrap the B-52.  The B-1 is supposed to
take over missions which the B-52 no longer has any chance of completing
successfully, such as penetration of a well defensed air-space, such as
the Soviet Union.  The B-1 also can carry more weapons and is of course
better at avoiding detection by radar.  The B-52, however, is still good
for such things as bombing targets with relatively little anti-air
defense, such as they did in Vietnam.

Another reason why you won't find the B-52 being scrapped is that it is
impossible for the Air Force to acquire sufficient numbers of B-1's to
replace the entire B-52 fleet.  It would have almost been possible if
Jimmy Carter hadn't cancelled the program back in the 70's.  Then the
Air Force could have afforded almost *twice* as many B-1A's, had the
entire fleet of them now, and be converting them to B-1B standard along
with working the bugs out.  Unfortunately, that didn't happen, and B-1's
cost twice as much now than they would have 8 years ago.  Oh, well, that's
what happens when the government runs the military (things like Vietnam
happen, too).

>                     "Uma vez Flamengo, sempre Flamengo ...."
Translation, please?

					Tad

P.S.:	Sorry if replying to this here if it annoys any net.general
	readers.  I have a hard time not talking about military stuff
	when I get the chance, besides, it is kinda a general piece
	of information.  If anybody wants to know more, e-mail to me.

--
Tad Marko
..!ihnp4!killer!tad		||	..!ihnp4!alamo!infoswx!ntvax!tad

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (08/18/86)

In article <257@killer.UUCP> tad@killer.UUCP (Tad Marko) writes:

>It would have almost been possible if
>Jimmy Carter hadn't cancelled the program back in the 70's.  Then the
>Air Force could have afforded almost *twice* as many B-1A's, had the
>entire fleet of them now, and be converting them to B-1B standard along
>with working the bugs out.  Unfortunately, that didn't happen, and B-1's
>cost twice as much now than they would have 8 years ago.  Oh, well, that's
>what happens when the government runs the military (things like Vietnam
>happen, too).
>
>P.S.:	... I have a hard time not talking about military stuff
>	when I get the chance, ...

Tad, do you really believe that the price of a "B-1A" 8 years ago
would have been anywhere near the estimate then in effect?  And
do you believe that if the wretched things had been purchased,
that the bugs would ever have been fixed?  Do you know how much
deception was used to "prove" that a B-52 with cruise missiles
could not serve instead of a B-1?  Shut the mouth and open the
mind, Tad.  You are being duped.  If it's any comfort, you are
probably in the majority.
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (08/20/86)

In article <257@killer.UUCP>, tad@killer.UUCP (Tad Marko) writes:
> with working the bugs out.  Unfortunately, that didn't happen, and B-1's
> cost twice as much now than they would have 8 years ago.  Oh, well, that's
> what happens when the government runs the military (things like Vietnam
> happen, too).

The system does have its problems but it's a lot better than to have the
military run the government.

tad@killer.UUCP (Tad Marko) (08/24/86)

In article <3668@hplabsb.UUCP>, bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) writes:
> In article <257@killer.UUCP>, tad@killer.UUCP (Tad Marko) writes:
> > with working the bugs out.  Unfortunately, that didn't happen, and B-1's
> > cost twice as much now than they would have 8 years ago.  Oh, well, that's
> > what happens when the government runs the military (things like Vietnam
> > happen, too).
>
> The system does have its problems but it's a lot better than to have the
> military run the government.

I agree totally, but if the government decides to have a war, let the
military get it over with as fast as possible with as little life-loss as
possible.  Than cannot be done if rules are imposed by the government
on the military about how to run the war.
--
Tad Marko
..!ihnp4!killer!tad		||	..!ihnp4!alamo!infoswx!ntvax!tad
UNIX Connection BBS AT&T 3B2		North Texas State U. VAX 11/780
flames to:  /dev/your_ear