[comp.fonts] Portable Goudy Font?

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) (12/17/90)

There's a group on campus that has made the "Goudy" font, their
standard document font. When they send me a document they
include the font as part of the document, since they know its
not installed in every printer on campus. They apparently have
licensed Goudy for the whole campus. There are Adobe and Allied
copyright notices in the font header.

The problem is that although it will print on my Apple LW NTX,
I can't preview Goudy on my Sun. When I inspect the document
I see it is a FontType 1, and the guts of it is a long eexec.

I don't know exactly what a FontType 1 is, the Adobe redbook
only talks about type 3.

My impression that any eexec code is Motorola and Adobe specific
and will not run on anything but a Motorola based Adobe Postscript
controller. Is that correct?

Finally, is there a more portable version of Goudy?

--
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {rutgers,gatech}!emory!km    UUCP

asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam Smith) (12/18/90)

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
> The problem is that although it will print on my Apple LW NTX,
> I can't preview Goudy on my Sun. When I inspect the document
> I see it is a FontType 1, and the guts of it is a long eexec.
>
> I don't know exactly what a FontType 1 is, the Adobe redbook
> only talks about type 3.
>
> My impression that any eexec code is Motorola and Adobe specific
> and will not run on anything but a Motorola based Adobe Postscript
> controller. Is that correct?

This is an important matter that needs to be addressed directly
by someone. What the original poster has assumed to be machine/executable
code is, if my guess is correct, a compressed version of the font. It's the
result of an algorythm that keeps file sizes small. A Postscript font on a
Macintosh will be compressed using this method, and can be "expanded" using
a utility like "UnAdobe". Doing this results in a PostScript file of ASCII
characters that is the Type 1 PostScript font program. This makes the file
semi-portable. I have run UnAdobe over a number of fonts and managed to move
them to an IBM and download them from there to a PS printer successfully.
When I inspected my IBM-based PS fonts I discovered that they too were
compressed, but, I assume, by a slightly different method.
So expanding the font file is the first step. The expanded font file, from
my experience, will behave fine in some situations (d/ling through "PSExec"
to the PS printer) but not in others (other programs that have to paccess
the info in the file). If my guess is correct, what is needed is a utility
that will compress and expand font files into and out of the formats that
various platforms expect. If I've got this wrong I would very much like to
have it explained by someone.
The other half the problem of porting fonts from platform to platform is
font metrics. The .AFM file is (again I'm operating under a personal
assumption here) a generic set of font metrics. It is the kerning and
letterspacing info in a plain form. This info is also in Mac screen fonts,
Windows .PFM files and the SUN equivalent of same. What is needed here is
another utility that will convert Adobe's .AFM file into the format that is
needed by the various platforms.
Well, that's me taking some wild guesses at what's going on. This issue is
going to become more and more pressing as people start wanting to use their
fonts across multiple platforms without having to buy 5 different formats to
satisfy their needs. I sincerely hope that we can at least start to resolve
this issue once and for all. I'm almost as tired of reading the postings
about this as I am tired of wondering how to do it myself.

 Adam Smith                     Genius - Graphic Artist - Bad Mood Guy
 The Chameleon Papers                           Vancouver, BC   CANADA
 "I'd give my eyeteeth to have a Macintosh--unfortunately, due to
  Apple's pricing policies, that's not enough"