[comp.fonts] Converting Mac Type 1 to IBM Type 1

13501DRJ@MSU.BITNET (12/22/90)

Can anyone tell me of a method of converting Macintosh Adobe Type 1 fonts
to IBM PC type 1 fonts. Some of the Mac fonts have accompanying .AFM files,
and some don't, although ATM 2.0 for Mac doesn't seem to care, whereas
the IBM version of ATM requires both .PFB (the outlines) and .PFM (the metrics
which I assume are like the .AFM Mac files, but in entirely different form).
Is there any software out there able to do the conversion?

The only thing I've tried so far is running the Mac fonts through Un-Adobe
and converting them with Corel Draw 1.21b, but corel chokes with a message
That the font cannot be converted correctly...

Any help would be appreciated...

asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam Smith) (12/23/90)

13501DRJ@MSU.BITNET writes:

> Can anyone tell me of a method of converting Macintosh Adobe Type 1 fonts
> to IBM PC type 1 fonts. Some of the Mac fonts have accompanying .AFM files,
> and some don't, although ATM 2.0 for Mac doesn't seem to care, whereas
> the IBM version of ATM requires both .PFB (the outlines) and .PFM (the metric
> which I assume are like the .AFM Mac files, but in entirely different form).
> Is there any software out there able to do the conversion?
>
> The only thing I've tried so far is running the Mac fonts through Un-Adobe
> and converting them with Corel Draw 1.21b, but corel chokes with a message
> That the font cannot be converted correctly...

AHA! A chance to show off how smart I am!
I was wondering precisely the same thing recently. I have a large library
of Mac Adobe fonts but had failed in previous attempts to convert them the
same way you did. Here is the step you are missing...

When you convert the fonts using UnAdobe, a bunch of CR/LFs are dropped into
the file. Open it in MS Word on the Mac (couldn't achieve the same thing
with Word for Windows) and get to the part after the first opening comments,
etc. At a certain point the data will change from readable PostScript code
into a LONG string of ASCII characters with no spaces anywhere. Select all
of this data and do a search and destroy (replace) to replace the carriage
returns (^p) with nothing. Save the file as text and port over to the IBM.
WFNBOSS (and a number of other progs) seem to get hung up on all of those
CR/LFs, take em out and it runs like a charm. Make sure you leave the
opening part alone though. For a quick check on how it is supposed to look,
have a poke at an IBM PostScript font--the long ASCII bit is in
binary/machine code, but the first part will be readable. Muck around a bit
and you are sure to get it right.
I tried this with the new "BunndesPi One" font. It converted using WFNBOSS
into a Corel font without
incident (except for telling me that there was no kerning data, not too
surprising from a symbol font like BunndesPi). It displayed and printed fine
from CDraw. I then took the WFN file and converted that into a Type 1. It
created a .PFB and .PFM file smoothly and ATM for Windows diplayed the font
perfectly. I d/led the font to a QMS and printed a sample page.

This is a HUGELY roundabout way of moving an ostensibly "device independent"
format from platform to platform, but until Adobe (or someone else) comes up
with  a smoother methods, it does at least seem to work.

I have only tried this once (last night) so I don't know if there will be
problems when I try with other fonts. I intend to spend a good deal of thje
XMas days finding out. But after months of trying various things, it sure
looks promising.

Two more points...
I haven't yet tested the validity of the theory, but I assume that the
PostScript font name imbedded in the font (the one that the printer uses to
tell one font from another) ought to remain intact through this process. The
practical upshot of this being that even if the fonts that are created using
WFNBOSS are not terribly well hinted (if at all), pulling the "all fonts
resident" trick ought to bring the real, original font into the page when
it is sent to an imagesetter. The moral here, as it always is, is download
your fonts ahead of time and know how to edit your win.ini file.
Another thing.
One test I haven't run is to try to substitute the font brought over from
the mac for the WFNBBOSS created version. i.e. the WFNBOSS font is fourth
generation (mac/unadobe/wfn/pfb)--so if you substitute the font originally
brought over from the Mac before it was WFNed, the quality may be better.
I'll have to see. This will also confirm whether or not the font name
remains intact.

So there you have it. If you have any questions or problems, I'd be hapopy
to take a stab at answering them. If you have tried this method and have
discovered something that I haven't come across, I'd be VERY interested in
knowing about it.

cheers
adam

 Adam Smith                     Genius - Graphic Artist - Bad Mood Guy
 The Chameleon Papers                           Vancouver, BC   CANADA
 "I'd give my eyeteeth to have a Macintosh--unfortunately, due to
  Apple's pricing policies, that's not enough"