[comp.fonts] Corel Draw fonts to Ventura fonts ???

ee88sbp@surrey.ac.uk (Sean Broderick Purdy) (12/12/90)

I work on the student newspaper at Surrey University, where we use
Xerox Ventura Publisher 1.1 for DTP on an IBM PS/2 model 60 & an
Apple LaserWriter II NT. We also have Corel Draw 1.1 which has lots
of fonts included.

What I want to know is can the Corel Draw Fonts be converted
somehow into downloadable PS fonts that can be used in Ventura
Publisher. It would save having to save a header using one of the
Corel fonts as a bitmapped .PCX file every time we want to do
something a bit different, eg using Hobo or Carta typefaces.

OK, maybe I am asking the impossible, but it's worth a try!

  Sean B. Purdy                         | stu003@sysi.surrey.ac.uk
  Technical Manager                     | ee88sbp@ee.surrey.ac.uk
  `bare facts'                          | ele838@sysi.surrey.ac.uk
  University of Surrey Students' Union  |

  "Don't F*** with the Press..."

ee88sbp@surrey.ac.uk (Sean Broderick Purdy) (12/13/90)

I work on the student newspaper at Surrey University, where we use
Xerox Ventura Publisher 1.1 for DTP on an IBM PS/2G!Apple LaserWriter II NT. We also have Corel Draw 1.1 which has lots
of fonts included.

What I want to know is can the Corel Draw Fonts be converted
somehow into downloadable PS fonts that can be used in Ventura
Publisher. It would save having to save a header using one of the
Corel fonts as a bitmapped .PCX file every time we want to do
something a bit different, eg using Hobo or Carta
	Aupfaces.

OK, maybe I am asking the impossible, but it's worth a try!

  Sean B. Purdy                         | stu003@sysi.surrey.ac.uk
  Technical Manager                     | ee88sbp@ee.surrey.ac.uk
  `bare facts'                          | ele838@sysi.s.t.y.ac.uk
  University of S.t.y Students' Union  |

  "Don't F*** with the Press..."

Me

fritsch@hatteras.cs.unc.edu (Dan Fritsch) (12/18/90)

In article <1990Dec11.224309.22019@EE.Surrey.Ac.UK>, ee88sbp@surrey.ac.uk (Sean Broderick Purdy) writes:

> I work on the student newspaper at Surrey University, where we use
> Xerox Ventura Publisher 1.1 for DTP on an IBM PS/2 model 60 & an
> Apple LaserWriter II NT. We also have Corel Draw 1.1 which has lots
> of fonts included.
>
> What I want to know is can the Corel Draw Fonts be converted
> somehow into downloadable PS fonts that can be used in Ventura
> Publisher. It would save having to save a header using one of the
> Corel fonts as a bitmapped .PCX file every time we want to do
> something a bit different, eg using Hobo or Carta typefaces.
>
> OK, maybe I am asking the impossible, but it's worth a try!

The new release of Corel Draw 2.0 has an addition to WFNBOSS that
lets you convert any of the Corel fonts into Adobe Type 1 format!
CD 2.0 now includes over 150 fonts (including renditions of Caslon,
Garamond). I've converted a couple of the fonts and the quality looks
pretty good to me (at least on a Deskjet +).

Another addition you may find useful is the ability to create custom
fonts that can be used like any other CD font (and can also be converted
to Adobe Type 1 format). In fact, you can import a Type 1 font, convert
the characters to curves, and export the altered characters as a new
Type 1 font. So Corel Draw can now be used as a Postscript font editor.

NOTE: I have not extensively tested the reliability of the exported fonts
with products such as ATM, but it should work fine.

  Dan Fritsch			(fritsch@cs.unc.edu)

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (12/19/90)

>Another addition you may find useful is the ability to create custom
>fonts that can be used like any other CD font (and can also be converted
>to Adobe Type 1 format). In fact, you can import a Type 1 font, convert
>the characters to curves, and export the altered characters as a new
>Type 1 font. So Corel Draw can now be used as a Postscript font editor.

Hmmm... While I will agree that you can import the Type 1 font with
Corel wfnboss then convert to curves and manipulate it, I don't know
that you can save it as a font anymore unless there is a MAJOR new
feature in Corel Draw 2.0!!

My Corel upgrade SHOULD be in the mail as we speak, but if anyone can
clarify this....

tj

fritsch@hatteras.cs.unc.edu (Dan Fritsch) (12/19/90)

In article <1990Dec18.185959.4057@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>, tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) writes:
> >Another addition you may find useful is the ability to create custom
> >fonts that can be used like any other CD font (and can also be converted
> >to Adobe Type 1 format). In fact, you can import a Type 1 font, convert
> >the characters to curves, and export the altered characters as a new
> >Type 1 font. So Corel Draw can now be used as a Postscript font editor.
>
> Hmmm... While I will agree that you can import the Type 1 font with
> Corel wfnboss then convert to curves and manipulate it, I don't know
> that you can save it as a font anymore unless there is a MAJOR new
> feature in Corel Draw 2.0!!

YES! It is a major new feature. You'll find that the program has
undergone a substantial revision. That's why they're raising the
price of the new version by $100.00. It's well worth it though, if
only for the new font capibilities.

  Dan Fritsch			(fritsch@cs.unc.edu)

vera@cadence.com (Vera Vallentin-Price) (12/22/90)

In article <1990Dec11.224309.22019@EE.Surrey.Ac.UK> ee88sbp@surrey.ac.uk (Sean Broderick Purdy) writes:

>I work on the student newspaper at Surrey University, where we use
>Xerox Ventura Publisher 1.1 for DTP on an IBM PS/2 model 60 & an
>Apple LaserWriter II NT. We also have Corel Draw 1.1 which has lots
>of fonts included.
>
>What I want to know is can the Corel Draw Fonts be converted
>somehow into downloadable PS fonts that can be used in Ventura
>Publisher. It would save having to save a header using one of the
>Corel fonts as a bitmapped .PCX file every time we want to do
>something a bit different, eg using Hobo or Carta typefaces.
>
>OK, maybe I am asking the impossible, but it's worth a try!
>

>  Sean B. Purdy                         | stu003@sysi.surrey.ac.uk

Try converting the Corel fonts using WinBoss (Corel Utility). If you
don't have this utility, you may want to upgrade your Corel version.

I believe that WinBoss converts from and to different font formats.

-vera

pgd@bbt.se (12/23/90)

In article <18166@thorin.cs.unc.edu> fritsch@hatteras.cs.unc.edu (Dan Fritsch) writes:

>The new release of Corel Draw 2.0 has an addition to WFNBOSS that
>lets you convert any of the Corel fonts into Adobe Type 1 format!
>CD 2.0 now includes over 150 fonts (including renditions of Caslon,
>Garamond). I've converted a couple of the fonts and the quality looks
>pretty good to me (at least on a Deskjet +).

The fonts delivered with corel draw are of simplified style, compared
to the Adobe/Linotype fonts. This at least applies to the older
versions of Corel draw. But you might not see the difference in small
size on a laser printer.

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (12/23/90)

As long as we are on the subject of fonts, does anyone have a clean bit of
'C' code that would take a HP LASERJET font (bit mapped) and create a
Windows 2.0 screen font from it?  An additional goodie would be a program
that would take MAC screen formats for fonts, and convert them to Windows
screen font formats.  Does anyone know of one, either commercial or PD
but preferably non-commercial.

Cheers
Woody