[comp.fonts] Corel Draw! upgrade

fritsch@hatteras.cs.unc.edu (Dan Fritsch) (12/21/90)

Since my last post, I've received numerous requests
for information on the new features in Corel Draw! 2.0,
so I thought I'd summarize below:

FONTS:
  - Over 150 scalable fonts (.wfn)
  - Ability to create custom fonts by modifying existing
    ones, or starting from scratch (.wfn export feature)
  - You can now convert any .wfn font to Adobe Type 1
    format using WFNBOSS (and vice versa). This means that
    you can import a Type 1 font, modify and save it, and
    export it as a new Type 1 font. Those with postscript
    printers (or ATM or SuperPrint) have access to all of
    the fonts that come with Corel Draw. I have converted
    the Caslon and Garamond equivalents and can now use
    them in Ventura Publisher and Ami Pro. Adobe Type 1
    converted .wfn fonts appear to be of fairly high quality
    (in my humble opinion).
  - Fonts can be designated as SYMBOL sets. A new visual
    symbol selector lets you flip through a symbol set so
    that you can visually select a symbol to use. This is
    sort of like having a set of clip art libraries. CD
    comes with about 40 symbol sets, including Holiday,
    Computer, Geographic, and Bullet sets.
  - The Text pop-up window now shows the first two characters
    typed in the font preview window (you don't have to specify
    a character in the preferences menu anymore), so font
    selection is easier.

TEXT:
  - You can now create paragraph text by creating a "frame"
    for the text. Paragraph text can include up to 4000
    characters in as many as 8 columns. You can import ASCII
    text into a paragraph frame and specify justification
    (including full left & right). This function makes Corel
    Draw much more useful for creating single page layouts.

FILLS:
  - Along with the usual solid and postscript fills, you can
    now fill any object (including text) with one of the included
    bitmap or vector fill patterns, or you can create your own
    fill pattern.
  - TIFF or PCX files can be imported as fill patterns.
  - Visual preview of fountain fills (slow).

MERGE:
  - Merge text from a file into a CD page. Useful for creating
    form letters.

DRAWING EFFECTS:
  - BLEND lets you smoothly change shapes and colors between two
    objects/
  - EXTRUDE creates 3-D effects.
  - ENVELOPE lets you stretch or twist an object.
  - PERSPECTIVE creates the illusion of perspective.

COLOR:
  - On screen, user definable palette. Click with left mouse
    button sets fill color, right sets line color.
  - Support for 24-bit color.
  - Display of 256 pure colors (previews look great!).

STATUS BAR:
  - Now shows fill and outline colors, outline width.

GRIDS:
  - Visible grid (finally).
  - Non-printing ruler guides (ala Pagemaker).
  - Snaps to grid or ruler guides.

MISCELLANEOUS:
  - Programmable right mouse button.
  - Align to page.
  - Nodes can be snapped to grids or guides.
  - Full screen preview.
  - Interruptable screen redraw (in wire-frame or
    preview mode).
  - User-defined arrows (line endings).

The upgrade price for registered users is $100. Apparently,
Corel will up the retail price by the same amount. The new
features are well worth the price in my opinion. Corel Draw!
2.0 blows everything else on the market away (including v 1.2).

  Dan Fritsch			(fritsch@cs.unc.edu)

marmoset@mondo.engin.umich.edu (Dave Walker) (12/21/90)

In article <18207@thorin.cs.unc.edu> fritsch@hatteras.cs.unc.edu (Dan Fritsch) writes:
>[...]    Corel Draw!
>2.0 blows everything else on the market away (including v 1.2).

Except, of course, Adobe Illustrator 3.0 ;-)

>  Dan Fritsch			(fritsch@cs.unc.edu)
>  University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

| Dave Walker, Detroit Art Services (DAS)                                |
| marmoset@ub.cc.umich.edu                 "I don't read, I just guess"  |
| marmoset@mondo.engin.umich.edu       -Happy Mondays, "Wrote For Luck"  |

JIM@auvm.auvm.edu (Jim McIntosh) (12/23/90)

In article <18207@thorin.cs.unc.edu>, fritsch@hatteras.cs.unc.edu (Dan Fritsch)
says:
>Since my last post, I've received numerous requests
>for information on the new features in Corel Draw! 2.0,
>so I thought I'd summarize below:
>...(stuff deleted)...
>The upgrade price for registered users is $100. Apparently,
>Corel will up the retail price by the same amount. The new
>features are well worth the price in my opinion. Corel Draw!
>2.0 blows everything else on the market away (including v 1.2).

Is this upgrade generally available? Any one have any problems with it?
Does anyone have information on ordering it? Was there a special mailer,
or would a phone call suffice?
---
Jim McIntosh (jim@auvm.auvm.edu)
The American University
Washington DC 20016-8019 USA

baldy@micor.OCUnix.On.Ca (The Bald Eagle) (12/27/90)

In article <1990Dec21.145008.18352@engin.umich.edu> marmoset@mondo.engin.umich.edu (Dave Walker) writes:
>In article <18207@thorin.cs.unc.edu> fritsch@hatteras.cs.unc.edu (Dan Fritsch) writes:
>>[...]    Corel Draw!
>>2.0 blows everything else on the market away (including v 1.2).
>>
>Except, of course, Adobe Illustrator 3.0 ;-)

I haven't seen A.I. 3.0.  I assume it's windows 3.0 compatible, what else is
of interest about it?  Why do you say that it is better or as good as Corel
Draw 2.0?  Personally, I don't think that there's anything better than Corel
Draw 2.0 on the market at present, but I would be very interested to know why
you think Adobe Illustrator could challenge that view.

--
uucp: micor!baldy        internet:  baldy@micor.ocunix.on.ca

The Bald Eagle strikes again!
God created only so many perfect heads, the rest He covered with hair.

In article <90356.150944JIM@auvm.auvm.edu> JIM@auvm.auvm.edu (Jim McIntosh) writes:
>Is this upgrade generally available? Any one have any problems with it?
>Does anyone have information on ordering it? Was there a special mailer,
>or would a phone call suffice?

1) Yes, the upgrade is generally available, you must be a registered
user though.  2) Problems with Adobe Type 1 conversion, that's about all.
3&4) A mailer was sent out to all registered users, but you can just
phone in your order to customer service at (613)728-8200.