[comp.fonts] Font sample page ideas

jwhiting@cdp.UUCP (12/29/90)

I'm making some font sample pages and wondered what _you_ would put
on one if you had the chance.  I remember reading a note on the nets
about a pseudo-word sused to check letter spacing and kerning ~r: something
that looked liek ke hamburger (HAMUV?????)  Does this ring a bell?

I've started with a simple type fountain (aplalphabet, 4-30 points) and
want to include a sample of body text too.

thanks,
jwhiting

cdp!jwhiting@labrea.stanford.edu

gls@odyssey.att.com (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (01/02/91)

In article <132600009@cdp>, jwhiting@cdp.UUCP writes:

> I'm making some font sample pages and wondered what _you_ would put
> on one if you had the chance.  I remember reading a note on the nets
> about a pseudo-word sused to check letter spacing and kerning ...

In version 4 of the Buffalo Font Catalogue I mostly used extracts from
_Alice in Wonderland_ and _Through the Looking-Glass._ (Even the chess
font!) Usually any kind of text will do for samples.  If you want to
work the word "Hamburg" in, you could use a sentence like "I will gladly
pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."

A traditional test for _typewriters_ is

	amaranath [sic]
	sasesusos
	initiation
	orinoco
	secedes
	uruguay
	Philadelphia

The "Philadelphia" tests the look of ascenders, descenders, and thick and
thin letters mixed.  But with sample pages it is more helpful to demonstrate
the appearance of ordinary text, not pathological test cases.

-:-
	"Not a dwarf hole with piles of dirt, gypsum, and dried snot
	 lying around, nor a narc hole with obscene drawings in the
	 vestibule and a cesspool in the middle of the living-room:
	 it was a boggie hole, and that means all of the above."
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
gls@odyssey.att.COM