[comp.fonts] Fonts for chess?

ath@prosys.se (Anders Thulin) (01/06/91)

Are there any PostScript typefaces suitable for chess typesetting? I
mean any with both the figure/diagram symbols *and* the symbols used
in publications like Informator: triangle, square, diagonal arrows,

The only one I have seen is Cheq from someone at Adobe, but that
contained only the figures.

--
Anders Thulin       ath@prosys.se   {uunet,mcsun}!sunic!prosys!ath
Telesoft Europe AB, Teknikringen 2B, S-583 30 Linkoping, Sweden

nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) (01/09/91)

ath@prosys.se (Anders Thulin) writes:

>Are there any PostScript typefaces suitable for chess typesetting? I
>mean any with both the figure/diagram symbols *and* the symbols used
>in publications like Informator: triangle, square, diagonal arrows,

>The only one I have seen is Cheq from someone at Adobe, but that
>contained only the figures.

Zapf Dingbats, as I recall, contains symbols similar to several of the
Informant symbols, but probably not all of them.  (There are around 40
of them, as I recall.)  Perhaps some other miscellaneous/symbols fonts
contain additional ones, but I'm not aware of ANY single font that contains
all of them.

John Renner of Adobe, the creator of Cheq, has the Informant symbols and
has expressed interest in doing such a font, but hasn't had the spare time
to work on it.

Now that Fontographer and other font utilities can create Type 1 fonts,
perhaps some public-minded netter can find the time to do this.  (If I
could justify the expense for Fontographer, I'd do it myself.)
Michael Nolan                              "Software means never having
Tailored Software Services, Inc.            to say you're finished."
Lincoln, Nebraska (402) 423-1490            --J. D. Hildebrand in UNIX REVIEW
UUCP:      tssi!nolan (or try sparky!dsndata!tssi!nolan)
Internet:  nolan@helios.unl.edu (if you can't get the other address to work)

miotto@cernvax.cern.ch (alessandro miotto) (01/10/91)

In article <1909@tssi.UUCP> nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) writes:
>John Renner of Adobe, the creator of Cheq, has the Informant symbols and
>has expressed interest in doing such a font, but hasn't had the spare time
>to work on it.
>
>Now that Fontographer and other font utilities can create Type 1 fonts,
>perhaps some public-minded netter can find the time to do this.  (If I
>could justify the expense for Fontographer, I'd do it myself.)

A few years ago I created a Mac screen font for figurine notation that
includes all Informant symbols, and I would like to transform it into a
Postscript font. Unfortunately I haven't got Fontographer nor I want to
buy a program just to convert a single font.
The font right now is of little use because is mapped to an italian keyboard,
but I could prepare an 'international' edition if somebody volunteers to
convert it to Postscript.

	Alessandro Miotto     CERN/PPE
	miotto@cernvax.cern.ch

mwang@.com (Michael Wang) (01/12/91)

In article <3753@cernvax.cern.ch> miotto@cernvax.cern.ch (alessandro miotto) writes:
>In article <1909@tssi.UUCP> nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) writes:
>>John Renner of Adobe, the creator of Cheq, has the Informant symbols and
>>has expressed interest in doing such a font, but hasn't had the spare time
>>to work on it.
>>
>>Now that Fontographer and other font utilities can create Type 1 fonts,
>>perhaps some public-minded netter can find the time to do this.  (If I
>>could justify the expense for Fontographer, I'd do it myself.)
>
>A few years ago I created a Mac screen font for figurine notation that
>includes all Informant symbols, and I would like to transform it into a
>Postscript font. Unfortunately I haven't got Fontographer nor I want to
>buy a program just to convert a single font.
>The font right now is of little use because is mapped to an italian keyboard,
>but I could prepare an 'international' edition if somebody volunteers to
>convert it to Postscript.
>
>	Alessandro Miotto     CERN/PPE
>	miotto@cernvax.cern.ch

If somebody is willing to send me hard copies of these symbols, I would
be willing to convert them to Macintosh PostScript fonts. I can't guarentee
the results but I will certainly do my best. Also since I don't know
anything at all about these symbols, any background info on how these
symbols are used would be appreciated. My mailing address is:

     Michael Wang
     Oracle Corporation
     500 Oracle Parkway
     Redwood Shores, CA  94065