Anybody heard of it?  Anybody got it???

Stephen Quan,
University of Tasmania.

brownd@agnes.acc.stolaf.edu (David H. Brown) (01/07/91)

In article <quan.663229421@sol> quan@sol.surv.utas.oz (Stephen Quan) writes:
>Anybody heard of it?  Anybody got it???
>
>Stephen Quan,
>University of Tasmania.

I have seen a Sonata (may be different from the Sonta font to which you
refer) bundled with Electronic Arts' Deluxe Music Construction Set. Sonata is
a PostScript font (here, a Mac file plus bitmaps) of music notation
characters and symbols. While the Info window for the file gives no
indication, I'm sure the file is copyrighted by somebody.

Dave Brown
St Olaf College

henry@angel.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) (01/08/91)

    *  (Stephen Quan) writes:
        **  Anybody heard of it?  Anybody got it???

        **  Stephen Quan,
        **  University of Tasmania.

    *  I have seen a Sonata (may be different from the Sonta font to
    *  which you refer) bundled with Electronic Arts' Deluxe Music
    *  Construction Set. Sonata is a PostScript font (here, a Mac file
    *  plus bitmaps) of music notation characters and symbols. While the
    *  Info window for the file gives no indication, I'm sure the file
    *  is copyrighted by somebody.
Sonata is as far as I know copyrighted by Adobe Systems -- I believe
it is an Adobe design and must either be purchased from Adobe, or from
an Adobe reseller.

	........  Henry

asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam Smith) (01/08/91)

quan@sol.surv.utas.oz (Stephen Quan) writes:
[sonta font]

> Anybody heard of it?  Anybody got it???

At thge risk of insulting you, you don't mean "Sonata" do you?
It's a typeface of musical symbols-any Adobe distributor will have it.

 Adam Smith                     Genius - Graphic Artist - Bad Mood Guy
 The Chameleon Papers                           Vancouver, BC   CANADA
 "I'd give my eyeteeth to have a Macintosh--unfortunately, due to
  Apple's pricing policies, that's not enough"

quan@sol.surv.utas.oz (Stephen Quan) (01/08/91)

asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam Smith) writes:
>quan@sol.surv.utas.oz (Stephen Quan) writes:
>[sonta font]
>> Anybody heard of it?  Anybody got it???
>>
>At thge risk of insulting you, you don't mean "Sonata" do you?
>It's a typeface of musical symbols-any Adobe distributor will have it.

Sorry, yes, I am asking for a friend.  I do believe he's after the
Sonata font.   I belive he has the package that you mentioned but
somehow he has misplaced font.

Stephen Quan,
Uni of Tas.

Andrew Gilmartin (01/08/91)

In article <quan.663229421@sol> quan@sol.surv.utas.oz (Stephen Quan) writes:
>Anybody heard of it?  Anybody got it???

>Stephen Quan,
>University of Tasmania.

The file server at abobe.com has more information about Sonata in the document
"Sonata technical design specification." To get a copy of this document send
email to ps-file-server@adobe.com with a subject line of

send Documents music.ps

-- Andrew Gilmartin, Brown University

asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam Smith) (01/10/91)

henry@angel.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) writes:

> In article <1991Jan7.151251.18707@acc.stolaf.edu>, brownd@agnes.acc.stolaf.ed
> Sonata is as far as I know copyrighted by Adobe Systems -- I believe
> it is an Adobe design and must either be purchased from Adobe, or from
> an Adobe reseller.
>
> 	........  Henry

I don't want to drag this out any further than is _absolutely_ necessary,
but...
"Sonata" is an "Adobe Original"--which refers to fonts that Adobe themselves
have created or commissioned, as opposed to a face that they license.
As such, it can be bought directly from Adobe (their order line in North
America is 1-800-344-8335 -- this number works in Canada too, thank you
Adobe) or from most other reliable PostScript font vendors (i.e. Font
Company, Monotype, Linotype (<-sleezeball dinosaurs), etc.)

If you don't want to deal with anyone directly, contact your nearest
full-service output service bureau. We don't bite.

cheers
adam

jthornto@twix.ee.ubc.ca (Johan Thornton) (01/15/91)

In article <73yJV1w164w@questor.wimsey.bc.ca> asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam Smith) writes:
>"Sonata" is an "Adobe Original"--which refers to fonts that Adobe themselves
>have created or commissioned, as opposed to a face that they license.

Corel Draw 2.0 also include a version of Sonata that wfnboss can convert into
postscript type I.

--
Johan Thornton
(but my friends call me jthornto@ee.ubc.ca)