[comp.fonts] Postscript+PC+Printer Font Sources?

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (01/15/91)

I am a member of the growing population of PC users with a PostScript
printer.  Most of the laser fonts sold for PC's are HP PCL compatible,
not PostScript; conversely, most of the PostScript fontware for sale
seems to assume the user has a Mac.  PC+PS users seem to fall into a
crack somewhere.  Adobe will sell me fonts, but at rather expensive
prices!  (They must know a monopoly when they see one.)  Are there other
sources of PostScript fonts available in PC format?  I'll summarize
email responses; news followups also welcome.

--
I might have gone to West Point, but I was too   /  /\   Tom Neff
proud to speak to a Congressman. -- Will Rogers /__/  \  tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM

Jens@applelink.apple.com (Jens Peter Alfke) (01/16/91)

In article <73603277@bfmny0.BFM.COM> tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff)
writes:
> Adobe will sell me fonts, but at rather expensive
> prices!  (They must know a monopoly when they see one.)

Most of the other quality font houses (Bitstream, Monotype, Agfa, etc.)
charge similar prices. You can't get around the fact that a *good*
digitization of a font is a labor intensive process. I used to for for a
small font house, and we put at least a man-month into every font. Then
consider that the typical package has 4-6 fonts and that's where your
circa $195 list price comes from. Sure, some places sell much cheaper
fonts but the quality and fidelity to the original suffer greatly.

--Jens Peter Alfke
  Apple Computer

JIM@auvm.auvm.edu (Jim McIntosh) (01/21/91)

In article <73603277@bfmny0.BFM.COM>, tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) says:
>I am a member of the growing population of PC users with a PostScript
>printer.  Most of the laser fonts sold for PC's are HP PCL compatible,
>not PostScript; conversely, most of the PostScript fontware for sale
>seems to assume the user has a Mac.  PC+PS users seem to fall into a
>crack somewhere.  Adobe will sell me fonts, but at rather expensive
>prices!  (They must know a monopoly when they see one.)  Are there other
>sources of PostScript fonts available in PC format?  I'll summarize
>email responses; news followups also welcome.

There are  a couple public  domain Type 1  Adobe fonts available  for ftp
from cica.cica.indiana.edu  in the /pub/pc/win3/fonts directory.  You can
get the INDEX file from that directory for the list.

I have  used them  under Windows  with the Adobe  Type Manager,  and they
download just fine to my Postscript printer.
---
Jim McIntosh (jim@auvm.auvm.edu)
The American University
Washington DC 20016-8019 USA