[comp.fonts] Where is the AFM format specification?

teexdwu@ioe.lon.ac.uk (DOMINIK WUJASTYK) (01/24/91)

I am reading through some Adobe AFM files, and most of the material
is pretty clear.  But I need some clarifications, and I was wondering
where the AFM format is written about?  It doesn't get specified
in either the Language Reference manual or the Tutorial and Cookbook.

Could someone point me to the documentation for AFMs?

Thanks,

Dominik

teexdwu@ioe.lon.ac.uk (DOMINIK WUJASTYK) writes:

> I am reading through some Adobe AFM files, and most of the material is
> pretty clear. But I need some clarifications, and I was wondering
> where the AFM format is written about? It doesn't get specified in
> either the Language Reference manual or the Tutorial and Cookbook.

> Could someone point me to the documentation for AFMs?

> Thanks, Dominik

If what you are looking for is the documentation for the Adobe Type 1
font format, that is its own book; in terms of utility as a reference
document from which to quickly code up a parser or creator, it is
nothing to write home about to mother, but is does a lot to clarify
hinting for individual characters and for whole fonts, and is worth the
price for that alone, even if just to use the ideas in your own font
processing software.

	Adobe Type 1 Font Format
	Version 1.1
	Copyright 1990 Adobe Systems Incorporated
	Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Inc.
          Reading, Massachusetts; Menlo Park, California;
          Don Mills, Ontario; Wokingham, England; Amsterdam;
          Bonn; Sydney; Singapore; Tokyo; Madrid; San Juan
	ISBN 0-201-57044-0
	US $14.95, CANADA $18.95
	Softcover, 106 pages, ten chapters, four appendices, index.
        Many illustrations and tables.

Kent, the man from xanth.

teexdwu@ioe.lon.ac.uk (DOMINIK WUJASTYK) (01/29/91)

Many thanks to the kind folks who pointed out to me that lots
of documentation relating to PostScript is available on the Adobe
mail server.  To find out what's there, start by sending email
to the address
   ps-file-server@adobe.com
with the single word "help" as a message.  You will then be sent
instructions on how to proceed further.

The Adobe mailserver has AFM files for the whole Adobe font catalogue,
lots of documentation, and a number of utility programs, to name but
some of the categories.

Dominik

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (01/29/91)

xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
> teexdwu@ioe.lon.ac.uk (DOMINIK WUJASTYK) writes:

> > ...But I need some clarifications, and I was wondering
> > where the AFM format is written about?...
> > Could someone point me to the documentation for AFMs?
> If what you are looking for is the documentation for the Adobe Type 1
> font format, that is its own book;...

Uh, Kent, don't you think that he'd have asked for the Type 1 font format
if that's what he wanted?

Now, I realize I'm only jumping to a rash conclusion, but I have a hint
that he might really be looking for the AFM format.  My clue--I admit it's
a subtle one--is where he asked for the AFM format.  (OK, Dick, stop being
a smartass and answer the question!:-)

AFM = Adobe Font Metrics.  AFM files are ordinary ASCII text files, one per
font, containing the metric information for the font.  It includes overall
font information such as
	PostScript name, full name, trademark info, bounding box, italic
	angle, cap height, x height, descender...
plus a list of all characters with per-character info such as
	code (if encoded), width, bounding box, PostScript name...
plus ligature relationships.  More recent versions also contain pair-
kerning data and other fun stuff.

The definition of AFM format is in a paper which is available from the
Adobe file server.  Send email containing the line
	send Documents AFMformat.ps
to ps-file-server@adobe.com, and you'll get back a PostScript file
for printing the paper.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...Mr. Natural says, "Use the right tool for the job."