[comp.fonts] HP soft fonts available by ftp?

tachyon@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Tane' Tachyon) (01/06/91)

I'm getting sick of using Times Roman and Helvetica for everything,
and would like to find some others to play around with.

I looked for a FAQ message, but if there was one, it scrolled off
already at my site, sorry.

pst@elixir.lne.kth.se (Patrik Str|mstedt) (01/07/91)

In article <10659@darkstar.ucsc.edu> tachyon@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Tane' Tachyon) writes:

>I'm getting sick of using Times Roman and Helvetica for everything,
>and would like to find some others to play around with.
>
>I looked for a FAQ message, but if there was one, it scrolled off
>already at my site, sorry.

There are a lot of soft fonts to HPLaserJet available at the ftp-site:
mims-iris.waterloo.edu             129.97.129.116

/Patrik

v119l94u@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Dennis G Crawford) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan6.181615.4246@kth.se>, pst@elixir.lne.kth.se (Patrik Str|mstedt) writes...

>There are a lot of soft fonts to HPLaserJet available at the ftp-site:
>mims-iris.waterloo.edu             129.97.129.116

	Would these work with a DeskJet 500 printer!?? If not, where could I
either get a LaserJet Soft Font Converter (if such a thing exists), or where
can I get fonts for my Deskjet 500 printer!?

)_Dennis_(
----
... D-Man! -=- WRUB Amherst 640AM -=- Dennis G. Crawford -=- SUNY Buffalo  .
..  V119L94U@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU -=- CRAWFORD@AUTARCH.ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU   ..
.   UUNET!UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU!V119L94U@UUNET.UU.NET -=- DGCRAWF@UMASS  ...
      How could something this simple turn into something this serious  ....

goes@vx.acs.umn.edu (Jim Goes) (01/09/91)

In article <53850@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v119l94u@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Dennis G Crawford) writes...
>In article <1991Jan6.181615.4246@kth.se>, pst@elixir.lne.kth.se (Patrik Str|mstedt) writes...
>>
>>There are a lot of soft fonts to HPLaserJet available at the ftp-site:
>>mims-iris.waterloo.edu             129.97.129.116
>

>	Would these work with a DeskJet 500 printer!?? If not, where could I
>either get a LaserJet Soft Font Converter (if such a thing exists), or where
>can I get fonts for my Deskjet 500 printer!?
>
>)_Dennis_(

There are DeskJet fonts available at this site.  Look under
subdirectory /fonts/deskjet.
Jim Goes                           |BITNET:   GOES@UMNACVX or JGOES@UMINN1
Health Services Administration     |InterNet: GOES@VX.ACS.UMN.EDU
School of Public Health            |UUCP:     {fav backbone}!uxacs!vxacs!goes
University of Minnesota            |MaBell:   (612) 624-3118
QuayleWatch Quote of the Week: "Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession
that teach our family" (recent address to members of the Hudson Institute)

drake@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (John Drake) (01/12/91)

I have got some of the .SFP fonts for a HPLJ III, and want to use them with
WordPerfect 5.1. How do I load them into the HPLJ in such a way that WP5.1
can recognize them and use them? Or, how do I tell WP5.1 to use a soft font
with a particular number??

Idiot-proof answers would be very welcome, as I'm new to this stuff and have
no idea.............

walter@hpsadle.HP.COM (Walter Coole) (01/15/91)

I'm not a WP expert, but I think you have 2 choices: tell WP that you
have cartridge X and separately load fonts identical to the ones in
the cartridge, or to tell WP where to find the fonts and let it do the
down-loading.  I'm a bit vague on how to do the latter, but a WP guru
should be able to set you up.  For the former, you could write a
simple batch file to send the setup escape string, the file and the
closing escape string (your manual should describe the necessary
strings) to the printer, or use a font management program to do it; HP
sells a fairly sophisticated one called Type Director.

ccastmg@prism.gatech.EDU (Michael G. Goldsman) (01/24/91)

Well I missed the reply to the suject line itself....

Is there an FTP site for HP soft fonts around???

-Mike

cnas09@vaxa.strath.ac.uk (01/29/91)

	Soft fonts for the HP laserjet family are available from:

		mims-iris.waterloo.edu (129.97.129.116)

	by anonymous ftp, under fonts/laserjet (I think).