[comp.fonts] trouble with AFMformat3.0.ps

teexdwu@ioe.lon.ac.uk (DOMINIK WUJASTYK) (01/30/91)

I have fetched the files AFMformat3.0.ps and AFMformat2.0.ps
from the Adobe file server, but I don't seem to be able to print
them.  I have had success with other documents from the fileserver,
so I feel reasonably confident that I'm not doing anything completely
off the wall (as the actress said to the Bishop).

I have tried AFMformat3.0.ps on a QMS Jetscript board, running PS 47.2,
and all the pages came out stretched  vertically by a factor of about
eight.  I tried the same document on a LJ III with the Adobe PS
cartridge (PS version 52.2) and the printer has been "Processing Data"
for about an hour, with nary a page to show for it.  (The same happened
with AFMformat2.0.ps.)

I have written a query to ps-file-person@adobe.com, with no reply
yet.

Has anyone had more success than me with these documents?  If so, how?

Thanks,

Dominik

jansteen@cwi.nl (Jan van der Steen) (01/31/91)

teexdwu@ioe.lon.ac.uk (DOMINIK WUJASTYK) writes:

>I have fetched the files AFMformat3.0.ps and AFMformat2.0.ps
>from the Adobe file server, but I don't seem to be able to print
>them.  I have had success with other documents from the fileserver,
>so I feel reasonably confident that I'm not doing anything completely
>off the wall (as the actress said to the Bishop).

>I have tried AFMformat3.0.ps on a QMS Jetscript board, running PS 47.2,
>and all the pages came out stretched  vertically by a factor of about
>eight.  I tried the same document on a LJ III with the Adobe PS
>cartridge (PS version 52.2) and the printer has been "Processing Data"
>for about an hour, with nary a page to show for it.  (The same happened
>with AFMformat2.0.ps.)

>I have written a query to ps-file-person@adobe.com, with no reply
>yet.

>Has anyone had more success than me with these documents?  If so, how?

Yes, but it took me some time to figure out what was happening...

The AFMformat[23].0.ps documents are made with Frame-2.0.
The problem of the used PostScript prologue is that it is trying
to be too smart by switching the printer to manualfeed if the
requested papersize is not in one of its paper bins.
And if the "manualfeed" timeout of your printer is set to infinite
(not unlikely) it will wait for you forever...

Therefore, at our side I've taken two measurements:

First, I've slightly changed the piece of Prologue code which
decides the papertype to use by overruling Letter (the requested
papersize in almost all Frame-2.0 documents I've seen) with A4:

/setpapername {
	/papersizedict 14 dict def
	papersizedict begin
	/papername /unknown def
		/Letter 8.5 inch 11.0 inch pagedimen
		/LetterSmall 7.68 inch 10.16 inch pagedimen
		/Tabloid 11.0 inch 17.0 inch pagedimen
		/Ledger 17.0 inch 11.0 inch pagedimen
		/Legal 8.5 inch 14.0 inch pagedimen
		/Statement 5.5 inch 8.5 inch pagedimen
		/Executive 7.5 inch 10.0 inch pagedimen
		/A3 11.69 inch 16.5 inch pagedimen
		%
		% Overrule Letter with A4 papertype
		%
		/A4 8.5 inch 11.0 inch pagedimen
		/A4 8.26 inch 11.69 inch pagedimen
		/A4Small 7.47 inch 10.85 inch pagedimen
		/B4 10.125 inch 14.33 inch pagedimen
		/B5 7.16 inch 10.125 inch pagedimen
	end
	} def

Next, to avoid *imported* Frame-2.0 documents hanging up the printer
the manualfeed timeouts of our main printers are set to one minute
by sending the following PostScript code:

%!
% Set the time out for manualfeed to 1 minute.
% We assume people using the manualfeed feature are close to the printer.
%
serverdict begin 0 exitserver
statusdict begin
    defaulttimeouts		% leaves job manualfeed wait
    exch pop 60 exch		% set manualfeed to 60 seconds
    setdefaulttimeouts
end

I hope this was of some help to you and maybe other users too.

Jan van der Steen
     Jan van der Steen                 jansteen@cwi.nl
     Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science (CWI)