[comp.fonts] how to get fonts from Adobe?

rsm@math.arizona.edu (Robert S. Maier) (01/31/91)

I just gave Adobe's sales line a call, hoping to get information on
the availability of some fonts I've heard of.  I've got a Unix
workstation that runs TeX and Tom Rokicki's dvips, so I need AFM files
(for afm2tfm) and PFB's (for dvips).  It was the first time I'd ever
spoken directly to Adobe.

There was, shall we say, a communications problem: the sales droid
didn't seem to know what AFM's and PFB's are.  I managed to pry out of
him that Adobe sells packages for PC's that create AFM's and PFB's as
needed, but that they don't sell the AFM and PFB files themselves.  Is
that correct?  He sounded pretty confused.

Never having played with PostScript fonts, Type 1 or otherwise, on
anything but Unix machines, I need to know the magic incantations to
make the sales droids respond.  Can anyone help?  Should I have
pretended to be basically a PC user?

--
Robert S. Maier   | Internet: rsm@math.arizona.edu, rsm@cs.arizona.edu
Dept. of Math.    | UUCP: uunet!arizona!amethyst!rsm

steves@gloin.microware.com (Steve Simpson) (02/01/91)

In article <RSM.91Jan30121336@coral.math.arizona.edu> rsm@math.arizona.edu (Robert S. Maier) writes:
>I just gave Adobe's sales line a call, hoping to get information on
>the availability of some fonts I've heard of.  I've got a Unix
>workstation
>
>didn't seem to know what AFM's and PFB's are.  I managed to pry out of
>him that Adobe sells packages for PC's that create AFM's and PFB's as
>needed, but that they don't sell the AFM and PFB files themselves.  Is
>that correct?  He sounded pretty confused.

We have purchased several fonts for use on our FrameMaker DTP under SUN/OS
(Goudy, Clearface, Franklin ...).  We buy PC versions and transfer them over,
following instructions provided with FrameMaker.  ALL Adobe fonts (and I
just checked this with Abode Tech Support) are provided with AFM (Adobe Font
Metrics) and PFB (Printer Font) files in separate files.  There are other
files on the disks, but the AFMs and PFBs are in their own files.

Good luck, Bob.

"Homer" Simpson
Microware Systems Corporation
(515) 224-1929