[comp.fonts] Univ of Michigan Font Repository

suarez@aquarius.as.arizona.edu (Jose Suarez) (02/05/91)

Are there any particular instructions for downloading fonts from the U.M. site?
I thought I followed their unique file/directory names and paths, but couldn't
get anything, not even a simple directory listing.  When I entered "ls", I got
a message saying that a file named "-FILES" was being sent.  It wasn't sent.

What am I doing wrong?

 -- Jose

 (suarez@as.arizona.edu, or IUE::SUAREZ on SPAN)

dauter@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Michael Dautermann) (02/07/91)

In article <973@organpipe.UUCP> suarez@aquarius.as.arizona.edu (Jose Suarez) writes:
>Are there any particular instructions for downloading fonts from the U.M. site?
>I thought I followed their unique file/directory names and paths, but couldn't
>get anything, not even a simple directory listing.  When I entered "ls", I got
>a message saying that a file named "-FILES" was being sent.  It wasn't sent.
>
>What am I doing wrong?

Nothing, really... I always suggest that people should type in
"get !index umichindex.txt" or something like that first, before
trying to retrieve anything else.. because there are no subdirectories
in our operating system, when you type in LS.. what is happening, a temporary
file called "-FILES" is being created and filled with the filenames of the
2,000+ programs available on the PC2 (Macintosh archive) account at U-M...

The whole ordeal takes about 5 minutes to create the file.. and another
ten minutes once it starts scrolling down your screen with all those
names!  Instead, try to work off the !index file.. you can also
"get !recent recentfiles" which will display.. much faster, all of the
files (including fonts) which I've added in the past month...

bytheway, if I haven't mentioned it before.. be on the lookout for our
new archive site... totally new.. totally revamped.. hierarchial
menus like /font/type.one and /font/type.three.... oooh oooh.. I
can't wait to announce it...

Let me know if you have any questions.. please!   >
Mike @ ccs.itd.umich.edu
(  (  ( ( (( in stereo )) ) ) )  )
Mike Dautermann - U-M Ann Arbor, Dearborn and the WORLD!!