[comp.fonts] C source wanted for bitmap to spline outline converter

lansd@dgp.toronto.edu (Robert Lansdale) (02/23/91)

	I am looking for a contouring routine in C that will apporoximate
the outline of a bitmap image with a series of connected line segments and
spline curves. Any pointers or references would be appreciated. Thanks.

--> Rob Lansdale

--
Robert Lansdale - (416) 978-6619       Dynamic Graphics Project
Internet: lansd@dgp.toronto.edu        Computer Systems Research Institute

 lansd@dgp.toronto.edu (Robert Lansdale) writes:

> I am looking for a contouring routine in C that will apporoximate the
> outline of a bitmap image with a series of connected line segments and
> spline curves. Any pointers or references would be appreciated.
> Thanks.

You probably want to start with the SIGGRAPH 1893 Proceedings,
ACM/SIGGRAPH Quarterly, July 1983, "Curve-Fitting with Piecewise
Parametric Cubics", Micheal Plass and Maureen Stone, pages 229-239,
seven figures, 29 reference bibliography, which shows a nice serif'ed
font (from MetaFont (computer modern, perhaps?)) converted back from the
bitmaps to splines. If you have a Citations index handy, this should be
cited in most of the relevant work.

Kent, the man from xanth.

karl@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Karl Berry) (02/24/91)

Besides the Plass&Stone article, a thesis from the University of
Washington is very useful:

Phoenix: an interactive curve design system based on the automatic
fitting of hand-sketched curves, by Philip J. Schneider, Master's
thesis, University of Washington, 1988.

I found his algorithms much easier to follow than M&S's; however, they
are oriented towards arbitary curves being drawn on a screen, not for
fitting fonts.  To do a good job of fitting characters, especially at
resolutions <, say, 2000dpi, requires much more effort.  M&S is not a
cookbook, either.

I have written a program to do font fitting (starting from a GF or PK
font) for the Free Software Foundation; it is not yet ready for even
beta release.  (The fitting works well enough, but I want to produce at
least one font from start to finish with it before release; that takes a
lot of time.)  I will give it to people who need it now, nonetheless,
with even more disclaimer than usual.

karl@cs.umb.edu