[comp.fonts] Bug in cmr5.mf ?

schwab@ls5.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Andreas Schwab) (02/28/91)

I have discovered that, unlike the other cmr fonts, the font cmr5 has
no f-ligatures and that there are `<' and `>' signs in position 60 and
62. Looking at the sources, I found that cmr5.mf has the line
`ligs:=1' instead of `ligs:=2' as in cmr6.mf, cmr7.mf, etc. Is this a
bug or a feature?

Btw, also cmsy5.mf and cmmi5.mf defines ligs to 1 instead to 2 as with
the other sizes, although in this case it makes no difference.

--
Andreas Schwab			schwab@ls5.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
Universitaet Dortmund, FRG	schwab%ls5@unido.UUCP

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (03/01/91)

In article <3067@laura.UUCP>, schwab@ls5.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Andreas Schwab) writes:
> I have discovered that, unlike the other cmr fonts, the font cmr5 has
> no f-ligatures and that there are `<' and `>' signs in position 60 and
> 62. Looking at the sources, I found that cmr5.mf has the line
> `ligs:=1' instead of `ligs:=2' as in cmr6.mf, cmr7.mf, etc. Is this a
> bug or a feature?

> Btw, also cmsy5.mf and cmmi5.mf defines ligs to 1 instead to 2 as with
> the other sizes, although in this case it makes no difference.

It's a feature. cmr is based slavishly on Monotype Modern No. 8A
and in that original, the f-ligatures were omitted in the 5pt
font to enhance readability at the smaller sizes.

-dh

---
Don Hosek   To retrieve files from ymir via the    | dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu
            mailserver, send a message to          | Quixote TeX Consulting
            mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu with a     | 714-625-0147
            line saying send [DIRECTORY]FILENAME
            where DIRECTORY is the FTP directory (sans "anonymous") and
            FILENAME is the filename, e.g. "send [tex]00readme.txt". There is
            a list of files in each directory under the name 00files.txt
            Binary files are not available by this technique.