[comp.fonts] Monotype 8A as source of cmr

haccme@milton.u.washington.edu (Thomas Ridgeway) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Feb28.234316.1@euler.claremont.edu> dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) writes:
[irrelevant material deleted]

> cmr is based slavishly on Monotype Modern No. 8A
>and in that original, the f-ligatures were omitted in the 5pt
>font to enhance readability at the smaller sizes.
>
>-dh

I don't think I actually disagree with Don, but since we have put
the word `slavish' into play, let us quote the master:

[Computer Modern Typefaces, p. vii.]

 Another piece of luck came my way in 1984, when I learned that the
 original bronze patterns used to make the molds of Montype 8A were in San
 Francisco.  For years I had been working with indirect and imprecise informa-
 tion about the fonts that had stimulated this work.  First I had worked from
 photographic blowups of letterpress original pages from The Art of Computer
 Programming; then Richard Southall had prepared enlargements from original
 proofs he had located in England.  At last I found the actual 80-year-old pat-
 terns that had generated the metal type.  The present owner of these patterns,
 Mr. Othmar Peters, kindly consented to let me borrow them while I was prepar-
 ing the final draft of Computer Modern, and I learned much by measuring them
 with calipers.  It never was my intention to make a slavish copy of any parti-
 cular typeface, but the chance to work with these real artifacts made it
 possible to understand many of the intentions of the original designer.

If this brief excerpt tempts anyone to rush right out and buy his/her own
copy of C.M.T. to see what other pearls of wisdom are concealed therein, then
my inflicting this bit of verbiage on the poor suffering usenet bandwidth may
possibly be forgiven.

cheers,

Tom

Thomas Ridgeway, Director,
Humanities and Arts Computing Center/NorthWest Computing Support Center
*  Go ahead, ask me about UnixTeX *
35 Thomson Hall, University of Washington, DR-10
Seattle, WA 98195   phone: (206)-543-4218
Internet: ridgeway@blackbox.hacc.washington.edu