[comp.fonts] Sign Language Fonts

hamlin@ral.rpi.edu (Gregory Hamlin) (02/28/91)

Does anyone know of any fonts available which depict the finger spelling
alphabet?  How about American Sign Language or Signed English?  My
mother teaches a class in sign language, and would like to make up
worksheets and flash cards for the students.  Postscript, fig, or other
representations would be useful, also.  Thanks

    Greg Hamlin
    hamlin@ral.rpi.edu

wilcox@hydra.unm.edu (Sherman Wilcox) (03/02/91)

In article <2#4-Q1-@rpi.edu> hamlin@ral.rpi.edu (Gregory Hamlin) writes:
>Does anyone know of any fonts available which depict the finger spelling
>alphabet?  How about American Sign Language or Signed English?  My
>mother teaches a class in sign language, and would like to make up
>worksheets and flash cards for the students.  Postscript, fig, or other
>representations would be useful, also.  Thanks

There is a fingerspelling font available from sumex. It is called something
like AMSLAN, but it is really fingerspelling.

I have in the past seen implementations of Stokoe notation on the Mac but
don't know where you could get a copy.

Emerson & Sterns, in San Diego, developed an ASL orthography a couple of
years back, including a Mac font (called SignFont). It is available from
a commercial distributor in Washington state, I believe, but can't recall
their name. You could track it down by contact E&S. You should realize,
as I mentioned, that this is a true orthography of ASL -- a phonemic
based, alphabetic writing system. I.e., it would probably be of very
limited use to your mother and her sign language students.  Also, it would
be of limited use in writing Signed English, since it is designed to include
only ASL phonemes; Signed English uses an overlapping but typically different
set of primes (especially, for example, handshapes).

Hope this helped a bit.

Sherman Wilcox, Ph.D.
Dept of Linguistics
University of New Mexico