[comp.fonts] ASCII mapping of Hebrew

dick@cs.vu.nl (Dick Grune) (03/04/91)

Is there a standard mapping of the (22+5) Hebrew letters onto 7-bit values,
and if so what is it? I have got two hebrew fonts for our HP Deskjet,
converted from Laserjet fonts. Both have different and highly awkward
mappings, clearly intended to approximate the Latin alfabet; neither is even
in collating sequence. I doubt seriously that that is the way it is done in
Israel, but my most recent docs on the subject are from 1969.

Ulay mishehu baAretz yakhol la'anot li lash-ela hazot? Toda raba!

					Dick Grune
					Vrije Universiteit
					de Boelelaan 1081
					1081 HV  Amsterdam
					the Netherlands
					dick@cs.vu.nl

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (03/04/91)

In article <9148@star.cs.vu.nl>, dick@cs.vu.nl (Dick Grune) writes:

> Is there a standard mapping of the (22+5) Hebrew letters onto 7-bit values,
> and if so what is it? I have got two hebrew fonts for our HP Deskjet,
> converted from Laserjet fonts. Both have different and highly awkward
> mappings, clearly intended to approximate the Latin alfabet; neither is even
> in collating sequence. I doubt seriously that that is the way it is done in
> Israel, but my most recent docs on the subject are from 1969.

The Hebrew version of ASCII places the letters in (Hebrew) order
beginning with aleph at x'60 (left quote). Final forms precede
the medial forms. Placement of other characters (punctuation,
digits, etc.) usually follows ASCII but not always. The eight-bit
Latin/Hebrew standard (ECMA-121, which I believe is the precursor
to ISO 8859/8: my ECMA registry is a couple years old now)
follows the same ordering, but beginning at x'E0 (=x'60+x'80).
Seven-bit encoding is no longer officially sanctioned, if I
remember the comments of a character set colleague correctly, but
is still widely used.

Unicode follows the same ordering of characters, beginning at
x'05D0; three Yiddish digraphs are provided in x'05F0-x'05F2
(double vav, vav-yod, double yod) as well as marks for
vocalization etc.

Neither coding scheme provides distinct Sin and Shin although
Unicode gives characters for "Shin dot" and "Sin dot". Either the
HUMANIST or UNICODE had some long tirades on why this is [or is
not] a bad plan.

-dh

---
Don Hosek   To retrieve files from ymir via the    | dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu
            mailserver, send a message to          | Quixote TeX Consulting
            mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu with a     | 714-625-0147
            line saying send [DIRECTORY]FILENAME
            where DIRECTORY is the FTP directory (sans "anonymous") and
            FILENAME is the filename, e.g. "send [tex]00readme.txt". There is
            a list of files in each directory under the name 00files.txt
            Binary files are not available by this technique.