[comp.fonts] Thai fonts needed

Murray_RJ@cc.curtin.edu.au (Ron Murray) (02/22/91)

   This may be a naive question but ....

Are there any fonts around for use with a PC to do Thai (needed) and other
Asian characters (would be nice). Windows fonts preferred, others may be useful.

Thanks,
....Ron

 Internet: Murray_RJ@cc.curtin.edu.au                | "You can lead a horse to
 ACSnet: Murray_RJ@cc.cut.oz.au                      | water, but if you can
 Bitnet: Murray_RJ%cc.curtin.edu.au@cunyvm.bitnet    | get him to float on his
 UUCP  : uunet!munnari.oz!cc.curtin.edu.au!Murray_RJ | back you've really got
Amateur Packet Radio: VK6ZJM@VK6BBS.#WA.AUS.OC       | something"
               TCP/IP: 44.136.204.14, 44.136.204.19  |    -- Murphy's Law I

teexdwu@ioe.lon.ac.uk (DOMINIK WUJASTYK) (02/23/91)

In article <7178.27c4dd88@cc.curtin.edu.au> Murray_RJ@cc.curtin.edu.au (Ron Murray) writes:

>   This may be a naive question but ....
On the contrary, it's a very good question.

>Are there any fonts around for use with a PC to do Thai (needed) and other
>Asian characters (would be nice). Windows fonts preferred, others may be useful.
The only  Thai font I know of are those developed in METAFONT for use
with TeX, by Tom Ridgeway and colleagues at the Univ. of Washington,
Seattle.  These can be used on any computer and with any printer, of
course, since this is true of TeX.

Dominik

haccme@milton.u.washington.edu (Thomas Ridgeway) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb22.204332.9992@ioe.lon.ac.uk> teexdwu@ioe.lon.ac.uk (DOMINIK WUJASTYK) writes:
[deleted]
>The only  Thai font I know of are those developed in METAFONT for use
>with TeX, by Tom Ridgeway and colleagues at the Univ. of Washington,
>Seattle.  These can be used on any computer and with any printer, of
>course, since this is true of TeX.
  unfortunately, I must disclaim authorship;  I am also uninformed as to the
  true authors.  Thai font(s) are available on ymir.claremont.edu for
  anonymous ftp, I believe in tex.babel.thai (or tex/babel/thai as we
  say in Unix).  Except for authorship, Dominik is otherwise correct
  as to use on any output device, etc.

>Dominik

Cheers,
Tom

(hi, Dominik!, long time, no see)

ooi@otter.hpl.hp.com (Stanley Ooi) (03/06/91)

Here's an even **more** naive question! I've pulled the .mf files from
ymir.claremont.edu. _Now_ what do I do? I'm afraid I'm very much a novice in
this area so I would be very grateful if some metafont guru can tell me what
I need to do to be able to incorporate these fonts into my system. I have
TeX and LaTex on already but these came with the system. I have got "mf"
on my system but I don't think I am using it correctly - I tried

   mf thair10

but could not make the .tfm file. Then I tried

   mf "\mode:=localfont; \mag:=magstep(1);" input thair10

I managed to create the .tfm file but I got a lot of error/warning messages.
LaTeX _seems_ to be happy when I tried it on a test file but I have not
worked out how to convince "dvi" or "xdvi" that I have the fonts. Help....!

Stanley Ooi
Hewlett Packard Laboratories
Bristol, UK.