[comp.fonts] Stokoe's American Sign Language Orthography

Note newsgroups; followups are back to comp fonts, where this discussion is
ongoing, briefly.

 wilcox@hydra.unm.edu (Sherman Wilcox) writes:

> There is a fingerspelling font available from sumex. It is called
> something like AMSLAN, but it is really fingerspelling.

> I have in the past seen implementations of Stokoe notation on the Mac
> but don't know where you could get a copy.

> Emerson & Sterns, in San Diego, developed an ASL orthography a couple
> of years back, including a Mac font (called SignFont). It is available
> from a commercial distributor in Washington state, I believe, but
> can't recall their name. You could track it down by contact E&S. You
> should realize, as I mentioned, that this is a true orthography of ASL
> -- a phonemic based, alphabetic writing system. I.e., it would
> probably be of very limited use to your mother and her sign language
> students. Also, it would be of limited use in writing Signed English,
> since it is designed to include only ASL phonemes; Signed English uses
> an overlapping but typically different set of primes (especially, for
> example, handshapes).

> Hope this helped a bit.

> Sherman Wilcox, Ph.D. Dept of Linguistics University of New Mexico

Well, it certainly raises some interesting questions.

By means I've forgotten, but it looks like a used book store was
involved, I have in hand a copy of Stokoe, Casterline, Croneberg, _A
Dictionary of American Sign Language on Linguistic Principles_,
Gallaudet College Press, 1965.

I confess to having opened it a few times for amusement.

Is the Stokoe notation in active use?

It seems excellent for handwritten work, but definitely penalty-time
priced work for typesetting; from a casual glance-by, it seems to be a
highly "diacritical mark" oriented language, with a central pair or trio
of symbols (a "Tab" followed by one or two "Dez"), highlighted by under
and overscores, superposed dots, and other markings, followed by a 2 by
2 grid the size of one of the major symbols, in which one to four minor
("Sig") symbols are laid out to indicate more temporal or positional or
motion information.

That's the introductory form; looking through the dictionary, it seems
to get much more complex, with Sigs hung off of Dezs at (naively)
arbitrary locations and orientations.  Or, it may be quite regular, and
I'm visually associating the wrong pieces.

I'm also the proud possessor of MetaFont and TeX, an Amiga, and a mind,
frankly, full of termites. If I bullied what I have, over time, in my
extremely few lucid moments, into some set of Metafont source files and
TeX commands to set them at the appropriate locations, would it be
useful to anyone?

The MetaFont work would be, frankly, child's play, the Stokoe symbols
are all made of constant width lines with undecorated ends, in a very
small variety of heights and widths, with no descenders or ascenders
(almost like a small caps font), mostly stick figures or simple curves,
and there are only 55 of them, much less trouble than metafont coding an
ASCII international code sheet of a couple hundred symbols, for example,
and with simplified rasterization modifiers (fixed width strokes are
ugly, but a joy to program).

There is a bit of a question about the symbol indices in the resulting
stokoe.mf file, though; the current indices are 1-55; would that cause
some collision with control characters? I don't use this stuff much; I
enjoy the symbol coding a lot more than the document creation afterward.

All the real effort would be the TeX layout commands, which might
require more knowledge of the language (AmSLan ala Stokoe) than I could
acquire, but might be possible to me.

On that base, the whole Stokoe Dictionary could be laid out by someone
else as \TagSomeASLwordInEnglish definitions which would allow a certain
stilted source document writing style to be set as Stokoe notation AmSLan.

Someone else with more experience and the ability to focus for more than
a few minutes at a time might want to take this on instead of me, if it
were useful; it looks like a month of evening hours could have it done.

How, if at all, does this Stokoe notation compare to the Emerson & Sterns
work noted above?

At a higher level, does any agreement exist on _any_ AmSLan orthography,
or family of orthographies, so that one is a refinement of previous
work, or is the situation more one of lots of folks hieing off in
different directions with no coordination?

I comment that the Sotkoe notation, or my ability to catagorize memes,
one, seems inadequate, since the dictionary is full of words that are
different in English, have the same Stokoe notation (apparently) and are
differentiated by the intensity, speed, or broadness with which the
corresponding sign is made.  The orthography seems not to encode these
adverbial modifiers.  Is this me only seeing one kind of snow to the
Eskimo's  couple dozen because I have a deficient vocabulary to support
the needed thought processes, or does AmSLan support a continuum of
memes in which my phonemeal limitations only allow me to perceive the
fixed points which to me are separate words?

Seeking education, looking for useful passtimes.

Kent, the man from xanth.

EZ-as-pi@cup.portal.com (Bruce Robert Gilson) (03/08/91)

Emerson & Stern's SignFont was quite
different from Stokoe's system, but