[comp.fonts] ** Which Mac font design app is best?

mcguffey@muvms3.bitnet (Michael McGuffey) (03/21/91)

I am interested in hearing experiences with the various font design
applications available for the Macintosh (i.e. Fontographer, etc).

Which is best?

How much work is it to generate Type 1 fonts with font metrics and screen
bitmaps... or is this all automatic?

Thanks,

-- michael

BITNET:   mcguffey@marshall
Internet: mcguffey@marshall.wvnet.edu

cycy@isl1.ri.cmu.edu (Cowboy) (03/22/91)

In article <41751@muvms3.bitnet>, mcguffey@muvms3.bitnet (Michael McGuffey) writes:
> I am interested in hearing experiences with the various font design
> applications available for the Macintosh (i.e. Fontographer, etc).

Well, I just got Fontographer, and so far it's pretty good. I've not finished
the font I'm create yet, though. One nice thing is that you can scan in
imagaes and make font characters from those. Thus, you can actually draw your
font out by hand first. The characters scanned have to be about 3 inches tall,
though, in order to have enough information to make a good outline. It took me
a long while to decide to by fontgrapher (or any font making programme for that
matter) because the all cost a fair amount. But I needed to create what is
evidently a somewhat esoteric and so far as I could determine unmarketed font.
However, I'm actually having a fair amount of fun. Fontographer will generate
the bitmaps, too. It creates both type 1 and type 3, and can also create
fonts for non-mac machines, though of course Mac is the default.

The main problem I see is with TrueType. I wonder if Altsys will offer an
upgrade to create TrueType outlines? What is the real benefit to TrueType
outside of screwing Adobe, anyway? I may not upgrade to sys 7 for a while
if this proves to be too much of a problem (I've heard that it won't be...
but I've heard stories like that before!)
--

                                       -- Chris. (cycy@isl1.ri.cmu.edu)
"People make me pro-nuclear." -- Margarette Smith