[comp.fonts] TeX cmr fonts needed for Mac

mb@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Mark Benard) (03/21/91)

Are TeX fonts available for use with Mac applications?  I need to match the
font on a TeX document with a document produced from a Mac application.  If
the Computer Modern Roman fonts are available in a form so that they can
installed on a Mac, or if there is a program for doing the
creation/transformation, I would appreciate hearing about it.  We are on the
Internet so I can ftp from other Internet sites.

Thanks.

Mark
--
Mark Benard
Department of Computer Science     INTERNET & BITNET: mb@rex.cs.tulane.edu

dhosek@cbrown.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (03/21/91)

In article <6731@rex.cs.tulane.edu>, mb@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Mark Benard) writes:
> Are TeX fonts available for use with Mac applications?  I need to match the
> font on a TeX document with a document produced from a Mac application.  If
> the Computer Modern Roman fonts are available in a form so that they can
> installed on a Mac, or if there is a program for doing the
> creation/transformation, I would appreciate hearing about it.  We are on the
> Internet so I can ftp from other Internet sites.

The only mac-format cmr that I know of is that distributed with
Textures; I don't know if they'd be willing to sell them
separately but it's worth giving them a call if it's really
important to you (the number is 1-800-622-8398). HOWEVER, there
is one big problem: cm uses positions 32 and 13 (space and
carriage return) for visible glyphs and most Mac applications
assume that those spaces are empty and use a brain-dead printing
algorithim which ends up printing the characters in cm at those
locations.

-dh

---
Don Hosek   To retrieve files from ymir via the    | dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu
            mailserver, send a message to          | Quixote TeX Consulting
            mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu with a     | 714-625-0147
            line saying send [DIRECTORY]FILENAME
            where DIRECTORY is the FTP directory (sans "anonymous") and
            FILENAME is the filename, e.g. "send [tex]00readme.txt". There is
            a list of files in each directory under the name 00files.txt
            Binary files are not available by this technique.

sean@castle.ed.ac.uk (S Matthews) (03/23/91)

mb@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Mark Benard) writes:

>Are TeX fonts available for use with Mac applications?  I need to match the
>font on a TeX document with a document produced from a Mac application.  If
>the Computer Modern Roman fonts are available in a form so that they can
>installed on a Mac.

Probably easier is to go in the other direction, and use Postscript
fonts in TeX.

This is possible using dvips at least.  Of course you lose in that
Postscript fonts are fairly primitive compared to TeX fonts, but
hammering them into the TeX framework is easier than vice-versa.

If you have to stick with the default TeX fonts then you have a problem;
even if you can translate the fonts into Postscript, unless you do an
enormous amount of work they will probably look even worse than
Postscript in TeX, for various reasons.

Sean

ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) (03/25/91)

Last I heard, Blue Sky were about to release new version of cmr (0.9,
soon-to-be 1.0) in Adobe type 1 format. Those should be downloadable, no?
Price is steep, however: list 345, educational 195...
--
Eric Behr, Illinois State University, Mathematics Department
Internet: ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu    Bitnet: ebehr@ilstu