[comp.fonts] Gill Sans, Metro, Underground

wdr@wang.com (William Ricker) (03/28/91)

>tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) wrote:

>> Doesn't it look like the face the Brits use on their street and
>>tube signs and a lot of their adverts?

I replied:
>Yes.

>Eric Gill was the apprentice to the type designer (whose name I forget)
>who  designed the face for the London Metro (tube stations).  Gill Sans
>does bear a *very* strong resemblence to the Metro face, but Gill denied
** [loose phrasing] **                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>any connection between his Sans face and his master's Metro. ...
** [even worse, outright erroneous ] **                ^^^^^

Dick Dunn responded by mail:

> Dwiggins designed "the popular type family Metro, cut in 1929, which is
> still used in newspaper typography."  This was done while he was at
> Mergenthaler.

> By any chance were you thinking of "Underground"?  That was by Edward
> Johnston, who *was* British.  I don't know if Gill was apprenticed to
> Johnston, but Underground looks to be a close ancestor of Gill Sans.

I shouldn't have assumed that the name of the face on the Metro signs
was Metro.  I'd forgotten that Dwiggins, a patron saint here in
Boston, had designed a face by that name.  (Must get a copy of
Lawson's atlas of type, that Dunn quotes from.)  It must be the
Johnston face "Underground" that I was referring to as the antecedent
of Gill Sans that still adorns much of Greater London, at the
entrances to the intraurban underground railway.  Whether it is Gill
Sans, Underground, or another similar face that the original poster
sees in a deluge of British advertising I know not.

[Note to americans: I didn't call the London undergound a "subway", since
that is what they call pedestrian underpasses, not subterranean railroads
as in America.]

--
/s/ Bill Ricker                wdr@wang.com
The Freedom of the Press belongs to those who own one.