[comp.fonts] Leading was

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar26.154304.24123@pmafire.inel.gov>, geoff@pmafire.inel.gov (Geoff Allen) writes:
> I complained about a book set in a sans serif face and
> briand@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Brian D Diehm) writes:

>>Actually, what you are complaining about is poor typography rather than
>>sans serif typefaces.

> 	There is a *lot* of leading between lines.  I know that some is
> 	needed to facilitate finding the next line, but there's a
> 	practical limit.  They exceeded it.

> 	The type seems to be printed grey, not black.  This combined
> 	with the wide open line spacing makes for a light page.

> The font used (I'm not a true font connoisseur, so I can't identify it)
> has a rather large x-height, so that may have been the motivator to lead
> it more than usual.  I don't know.  But it would seem to me that one
> should let the x-height be whatever it is and lead for the line length
> and ease of reading rather than color.  Trying to control color with
> leading (at least in this case) seems to be a bad idea.

There are some general principles for determining how much
leading should be used; in particular, long lines require more
leading than short lines, darker fonts more leading than lighter
fonts and fonts with large x-heights should receive more leading
than fonts with small x-heights. In this case, the designer
apparently accepted the x-height rule and rejected/forgot about
the font weight rule (unless the final printing process was poor
which might account for the greyness of the printing).

-dh

--
Don Hosek                  | To retrieve files from ymir via the mailserver,
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu  | send a message to mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu

amy@circus.camex.com (Amy Lindsay) (03/30/91)

I think I've missed something.  What was this book that we're been
talking about?

I have seen cases of extreme "designy-ness" which have pushed the
limits of "good typography" and it worked.  For instance, poetry.

I saw a rather nice booklet set 18/36 in Americana.  Of course, I
wouldn't want to set a user's manual in it...

				--amy

"Don't make rules. The Designers will hear you and try to break them."
A.G.Lindsay	  Internet: amy@camex.com (otherwise, use your best guess.)
Typography & Design Department ~ Camex, Inc. ~ Boston, MA (617-426-3577)
"Slip...Landing technique to compensate for crosswinds in which pilot crosses
        controls to dramatically reduce lift (see falling rocks.)"