[comp.fonts] Math symbol font

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (03/19/91)

We are looking for a Postscript font that can be used on a Mac so we
can generate math symbols and certain math letters. The "symbol"
font is not enough. We would really like something that has all the symbols
that the TeX fonts do.

But the symbols we really need are h-bar (Planck's constat divided by 2 pi)
and a script lower case letter l (\ell in TeX). Next most important are
script upper case J, K, and L.

HELP!!!!

We are having to write these in with a pen!!!! (except for TeX users,
who don't use Macs).

Doug MCDonald

ar12@prism.gatech.EDU (REGISTER,ANDREW H) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar19.013622.6266@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:

> We are looking for a Postscript font that can be used on a Mac so we
> can generate math symbols and certain math letters. The "symbol"
> font is not enough. We would really like something that has all the symbols
> that the TeX fonts do.

There are a few obvious symbols that have not yet been mentioned.  Maybe they are easy
and I am just a mental midget and cannot figure them out.

x dot and x double dot.  This can easily be done using overstrike *if* I had a
raised dot (centered horiz.) and a raised double dot.

A small raised tilde and hat would also be useful although the standard ones
can be manipulated.

If someone builds one for the Mac, It sure would be nice if someone would run it
through the process for creating the pc windows ATM version.

If there is a font available (commercial) already I would appreciate it if someone
would tell me the name so I can buy it!

Toodles,
Andy

--
Andy Register  Internet: ar12@prism.gatech.edu   Bitnet: aregiste@gtri01.bitnet

-- Sometimes the Bears Win, Sometimes the Bulls Win --
    -------- But the Pigs *Always* Lose --------              (author unknown)

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar19.013622.6266@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:

   We are looking for a Postscript font that can be used on a Mac so we
   can generate math symbols and certain math letters. The "symbol"
   font is not enough. We would really like something that has all the symbols
   that the TeX fonts do.

since TeX has what you want, bite the bullet and use Computer Modern
Roman maths fonts. Blue Sky Research will sell you the fonts in Adobe
Type 1 format (or maybe its still Type 3) which you will presumably be
able to use with your Mac applications OK.

Have you looked at the Lucida Maths fonts? They consciously set out to
cover the same field as TeX's maths fonts

Sebastian
--
Sebastian Rahtz                        S.Rahtz@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science                       S.Rahtz@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)

barry@reed.UUCP (Barry Smith) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar19.013622.6266@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:
>We are looking for a Postscript font that can be used on a Mac so we
>can generate math symbols and certain math letters. The "symbol"
>font is not enough. We would really like something that has all the symbols
>that the TeX fonts do.

A commercial PostScript Type 1 implementation of Computer Modern is available
for the Macintosh and for the PC (Adobe Type Manager compatible) from Blue
Sky Research, Portland, Oregon.  The current set (version 0.9) includes 40
faces, including all the symbol faces; the version 1.0 set will include all
75 Computer Modern faces.  For further information:

 Blue Sky Research
 534 SW Third Avenue
 Portland, Oregon 97204 USA
 800/622-8398, 503/222-9571

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (03/25/91)

In article <SPQR.91Mar21192941@manutius.ecs.soton.ac.uk>, spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) writes:
> In article <1991Mar19.013622.6266@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:

>    We are looking for a Postscript font that can be used on a Mac so we
>    can generate math symbols and certain math letters. The "symbol"
>    font is not enough. We would really like something that has all the symbols
>    that the TeX fonts do.

> since TeX has what you want, bite the bullet and use Computer Modern
> Roman maths fonts. Blue Sky Research will sell you the fonts in Adobe
> Type 1 format (or maybe its still Type 3) which you will presumably be
> able to use with your Mac applications OK.

Blue Sky is selling Type 1 fonts (I READ all the ads in TUGboat
;-). However, using CM Math means using CM text which may not be
what they desire. I don't know about the PS versions but the
bitmap versions follow the coding of standard CM which puts
characters at x'20 and x'0d. This causes a visible character to
be printed at every space and end-of-paragraph with the Mac apps
I tried. Generally not a desirable result. Besides, they might
*want* to use Times as their body font.

> Have you looked at the Lucida Maths fonts? They consciously set out to
> cover the same field as TeX's maths fonts

This might be a bit more workable, but again, they'll need to buy
both the math and text fonts to get decent results. And since
Lucida math is not widely used, they'll probably have to buy from
Adobe and pay full price. Urp.

Other options for PS math include MoreMath which was presented at
TeX89 at Karlsruhe. The author of that font is Paul D. Bacsich
who (at the time at least) is at the Open University in the UK.
This is a times-compatible symbol font supporting the TeX
character set plus the VDM chars.

Bitstream created a similar extension for DEC. I'm not sure
whether they or DEC will sell it individually or what DEC package
it's part of.

-dh

--
Don Hosek                  | To retrieve files from ymir via the mailserver,
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu  | send a message to mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu

keie@cs.vu.nl (Keizer E G) (03/25/91)

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:

>We are looking for a Postscript font that can be used on a Mac so we
>can generate math symbols and certain math letters. The "symbol"
>font is not enough. We would really like something that has all the symbols
>that the TeX fonts do.

>But the symbols we really need are h-bar (Planck's constat divided by 2 pi)
>and a script lower case letter l (\ell in TeX). Next most important are
>script upper case J, K, and L.

Last Friday Adobe's Mathematical Pi font landed on my desk. It is
font package number 158. I did not test it on MacIntoshes, I use the
fonts on a PostScript printer attached to UNIX boxes, but saw both
the outline fonts and the bitmap fonts on the MacIntosh disk carrying
the fonts. The package contains 6 fonts: MathematicalPi-One through Six.
They contain:
	One	Greek font (not italic) comparison symbols (less-equal ...)
		h-slash, lambda-slash, infin., prop. to ,...
	Two	A complete Schwabinger or Fraktur font ( I am not sure which
		I'd have to look that up at home), An Upper Case Script Font
		and a few lower case script letters (g,h,l,z) in two weigths.
	Three	Lots of brackets, parenthesis and integration symbols in
		two weights and a few variations of the equal and
		identical signs.
	Four	A Bold Greek font (not italic) and lots of symbols used with
		sets.
	Five	Lots of symbols used in logic and the compare entities
		of which I do not know into which catecory they fit.
	Six	An capitals-only `open' font, which I am not to safisfied with,
		that can be used to indicate the sets of integers,
		positive integers, real numbers etc. Squares, triangles and
		circles, not, while or partially filled.
		And lots of mathematical symbols with dots in them.

This is not a superset of the AMS fonts used with TeX. Neither is it a subset.
But it is very usefull to have around in a mathematical environment and
costs (single printer license) around Dfl 900 (~$500).

Ed Keizer
Vrije Universiteit
Amsterdam
The Netherlands

Disclaimers.
- This message contains my opinion and not that of my employer.
- I did my best to represent the content of these fonts as good as I could
  without spending too much time on it, but it is very well possible
  that I have made mistakes.

graham@cs.washington.edu (Stephen Graham) (03/26/91)

In article <SPQR.91Mar21192941@manutius.ecs.soton.ac.uk> spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) writes:
>In article <1991Mar19.013622.6266@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:
>
>   We are looking for a Postscript font that can be used on a Mac so we
>   can generate math symbols and certain math letters. The "symbol"
>   font is not enough. We would really like something that has all the symbols
>   that the TeX fonts do.
>
>since TeX has what you want, bite the bullet and use Computer Modern
>Roman maths fonts. Blue Sky Research will sell you the fonts in Adobe
>Type 1 format (or maybe its still Type 3) which you will presumably be
>able to use with your Mac applications OK.

Of course, you're also stuck using Computer Modern text fonts if you
want typographic consistency. And I, for one, can't stand them. (Modern
serif faces annoy me, to begin with.)

>Have you looked at the Lucida Maths fonts? They consciously set out to
>cover the same field as TeX's maths fonts

You might also like to look at Adobe's Mathematical Pi font. It actually
has more symbols than TeX. Lucida Math has all the base characters,
but does not include pre-built negation binary operators. Nor does it
have h-bar or black-letter capitals. It might be missing a few other
things as well, most of which could be patched in from other fonts, or
built. The one draw-back to Mathematical Pi is that it has six component
fonts, which would make it hard to memorize and down-load.

Incidentally, Adobe has a new service to provide you with various documents,
including typeface sample pages, via fax. It's 1-800-235-0078. Not bad.

--

Steve Graham
graham@isis.ee.washington.edu

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (03/26/91)

In article <15558@june.cs.washington.edu> graham@cs.washington.edu (Stephen Graham) writes:
>In article <SPQR.91Mar21192941@manutius.ecs.soton.ac.uk> spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) writes:
>>In article <1991Mar19.013622.6266@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:
>>
>>   We are looking for a Postscript font that can be used on a Mac so we
>>   can generate math symbols and certain math letters. The "symbol"
>>   font is not enough. We would really like something that has all the symbols
>>   that the TeX fonts do.
>>

>You might also like to look at Adobe's Mathematical Pi font. It actually
>has more symbols than TeX.

We tried the FAX line. Yep, Mathematical Pi indeed has all the characters
we need. Every last one including h-bar. Now we just need somebody to sell it
to us at less than the list price!!!!!

Doug McDonald

geoff@pmafire.inel.gov (Geoff Allen) (03/26/91)

graham@june.cs.washington.edu (Stephen Graham) writes:
>Incidentally, Adobe has a new service to provide you with various documents,
>including typeface sample pages, via fax. It's 1-800-235-0078. Not bad.

It seems that trying to determine much about a typeface at fax
resolution would be difficult, if not impossible, no?

--
Geoff Allen          \  It's so fast, it can do an infinite loop
uunet!pmafire!geoff   \     in 30 seconds.

graham@cs.washington.edu (Stephen Graham) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar26.155134.24388@pmafire.inel.gov> geoff@pmafire.inel.gov (Geoff Allen) writes:

>It seems that trying to determine much about a typeface at fax
>resolution would be difficult, if not impossible, no?

The sample sheets appear to have been done at 18 pt, large enough
that most details make it through the fax process. However, I think
the sheets are better used as an indication of the available
character set. I wouldn't base my final buying decision for a
text typeface on the fax sheets alone, but it's a help, especially
with the pi fonts.
--

guelzow@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Andreas J. Guelzow) (03/30/91)

In article <1991Mar25.195650.15921@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:

>We tried the FAX line. Yep, Mathematical Pi indeed has all the characters
>we need. Every last one including h-bar. Now we just need somebody to sell it
>to us at less than the list price!!!!!

I purchased my copy of Mathematical Pi for much less than list and you
could follow it too if you find somebody who hasn't upgraded to ATM v.
2 yet. With the upgrade you can buy one of Adobe's families for about
$49.

(This is all subject to the restrictions of my memory, I may have
forgotten some time limitations...)

Andreas Guelzow
<guelzow@ccu.umanitoba.ca>