[comp.fonts] Type-2 fonts

tut@cairo.Eng.Sun.COM (Bill "Bill" Tuthill) (04/02/91)

I've heard of Adobe Type-1 and Type-3 fonts, but whatever happened
to Type-2 fonts?

taft@adobe.com (Ed Taft) (04/02/91)

Type 2 was to have been a method for producing an unlimited variety of
typefaces similar to Courier. We found this to be such a hot piece of
technology that we decided to keep it proprietary.

Ed Taft      taft@adobe.com      ...decwrl!adobe!taft

aldus@cdp.UUCP (04/02/91)

the story I heard was that it was an evolutionary form that never saw
the light of day.

jwhiting

tts@ttank.ttank.com (Karl Bunch) (04/02/91)

In <13468@adobe.UUCP> taft@adobe.com (Ed Taft) writes:

>Type 2 was to have been a method for producing an unlimited variety of
>typefaces similar to Courier. We found this to be such a hot piece of
>technology that we decided to keep it proprietary.

Okay, I'll bite.. What happened to the technology?  Never released?

BTW.  I'm sure it's documented but what are the REAL descriptions
of Type 1 & Type 3??  Or even differences.

Thanks,
Karl
--
% ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
% Karl Bunch                            ||| UUCP: ..!uunet!zardoz!ttank!karl

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Apr2.073621.5146@ttank.ttank.com> karl@ttank.com writes:
>In <13468@adobe.UUCP> taft@adobe.com (Ed Taft) writes:
>>Type 2 was to have been a method for producing an unlimited variety of
>>typefaces similar to Courier. We found this to be such a hot piece of
>>technology that we decided to keep it proprietary.
>
>Okay, I'll bite.. What happened to the technology?  Never released?

*Sigh*

And you thought humor was alive on Usenet.  :-)

--
/////////////\\\\\\\\           Tom Neff / Senior Brick Trimmer

v065gza5@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Lenny Ashley Shields) (04/02/91)

In article <10793@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM>, tut@cairo.Eng.Sun.COM (Bill "Bill" Tuthill) writes...
>I've heard of Adobe Type-1 and Type-3 fonts, but whatever happened
>to Type-2 fonts?

What is a type-1 or type-3 font either.  I just know of the
regular Adobe fonts, courier, helvetica, century schoolbook,
times-roman and etc.  i was not aware that they are classified
into different groups.  could someone please explain the
differences.  Thanks.

Lenny Shields
State University of New York at Buffalo