[comp.fonts] Garamond, Caslon, Minion, Utopia on laser printers?

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (04/03/91)

(not sure what newsgroups to use--it's not a PostScript language question,
but it's about Adobe-specific fonts)

Has anyone used any of the Adobe versions of the mentioned type families--
Garamond, Caslon, Minion, or Utopia--on standard 300-dpi laser printers?
If so, could you share any particular good or bad experiences?  I'm look-
ing for notes such as "the Xyzzy-Bold comes out too bold" or "some of the
curves tickle a jaggy problem that's noticeable" or such like.  Of course,
if you can say something like "the Adobe version of Xyzzy is particularly
{good,bad,faithful,...}", that would help too.

I realize the four families aren't easily comparable, nor substitutes for
one another!  I'm looking for a good text face, and I'm tempted by Adobe's
current offer of the matching expert collection along with the regular
package...I plan to scrutinize the families more closely, but I'd like to
know if there are any obvious losers I can eliminate at the start.

adthanksvance
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   The Official Colorado State Vegetable is now the "state legislator".

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (04/04/91)

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:

   Has anyone used any of the Adobe versions of the mentioned type families--
   Garamond, Caslon, Minion, or Utopia--on standard 300-dpi laser printers?

I've used Adobe Garamond, and seen stuff done with Minion.  Adobe Garamond
is a very nice rendition of an old-fashioned Garamond.  It comes out well
at 300dpi, very well at 400dpi, and looks absolutely gorgeous on a Lino.
The Expert Collection is also very nice, and provides small caps, oldstyle
numerals, swash caps extra ligatures and fractions, etc.  If I were going
to pick a typeface for typesetting fine books, this would be it.

It has a small x-height, and so it looks "smaller" at a given point
size than many PostScript typefaces.  Partially because of this, it starts
to lose some of its character at 10pt and below at 300dpi.  It still looks
good, though.

Minion is a more modern typeface.  Like Adobe Garamond, I find it very
pleasing to look at and read.  It's not based on any particular typeface
that I know of, but it has some of the character of Palatino, albeit much
subtler.  It also has an Expert Collection, which once again I recommend.
It's a little more robust at 300dpi than Adobe Garamond, and its more
up-to-date look would make it good for manuals, magazines, and so on.
I like it better than Stone for these things, mainly because it is more
delicate.

--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda

briand@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Brian D Diehm) (04/04/91)

>Has anyone used any of the Adobe versions of the mentioned type families--
>Garamond, Caslon, Minion, or Utopia--on standard 300-dpi laser printers?
>If so, could you share any particular good or bad experiences?

I do not have, but have seen, Adobe Minion printed at 300 dpi then reproduced
in a newsletter. The reproduction was by offset press, not xerography. I was
impressed by the absolute lack of jaggies at that resolution. No, amazed would
be a better way to put it.

I am also fascinated by Minion, because it is SO absolutely without noticeable
"character." It absolutely does not call any attention to itself. If you are
looking for a very readable face that doesn't distract by standing out, this
seems to me to be a perfect choice for 300 dpi.

--
-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.                (503) 627-3437         briand@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM

mls@cbnewsm.att.com (mike.siemon) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr3.160855.4441@visix.com>, amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker)
writes:

> I've used Adobe Garamond, and seen stuff done with Minion.  Adobe Garamond
> is a very nice rendition of an old-fashioned Garamond.  It comes out well

I also have, and mam pleased with Adobe Garamond.  I find that I do NOT use
the Expert Collection as much as I expected to in buying it.  I'm tempted
by the current offer out of Font & Function, as I have tended to like Caslon-
style faces in the past, and the sample in F&F looks good.  But Caslon and
Garamond are fairly close in style and in the dates of the originals that
inspire them.

Minion is another matter.

> Minion is a more modern typeface.  Like Adobe Garamond, I find it very
> pleasing to look at and read.  It's not based on any particular typeface
> that I know of, but it has some of the character of Palatino, albeit much

I find it odd to call Minion "modern" -- it certainly is an adaptation and
not any kind of copy of an older face, but as the ad-hype says in F&F:

	"Minion ... is a contemporary family inspired by classic old-style
	faces of the Renaissance"

I'm a sucker for Renaissance faces:  slab serifs on M and N, the slanted
bar of the e, a modulation of thick and thin that suggests a pen not too
far in the background (which is also the suggestion in Palatino).  Minion
underplays these elements -- but they are still there, they merely do not
obtrude.

Someone else has followed up this line to suggest that Minion does very
well at 300dpi; I think I am convinced :-)

(BTW: the ad-hype goes on to say, "Minion means a ''beloved servant''"
-- right; tell that to the court of the last Valois, contemporary with
the Renaissance faces Minion is based upon!
--
Michael L. Siemon		We must know the truth, and we must
m.siemon@ATT.COM		love the truth we know, and we must