[comp.fonts] Mac font info summary wanted

cfejm@ux1.cts.eiu.edu (John Miller) (04/04/91)

Hi, all.  I'm new to the group, and I may be asking a FAQ, but
I'd appreciate e-mail replies.  I'll post a summary to the net.

Can anyone point me to a basic summary of the aspects of font implementatiopn
on the Mac?  By this, I mean explanations of construction, usage, and
comparison of what has been (Postscript, ATM stuff, etc) what is
(Truetype, outline technology), and what will be (?).  Also, what
about "type 1", "type 3", etc.?

Thanks in advance,

John Miller

briand@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Brian D Diehm) (04/04/91)

>Can anyone point me to a basic summary of the aspects of font implementatiopn
>on the Mac?  By this, I mean explanations of construction, usage, and
>comparison of what has been (Postscript, ATM stuff, etc) what is
>(Truetype, outline technology), and what will be (?).  Also, what
>about "type 1", "type 3", etc.?

Ah, yes, pernicious "perception molding" at work. Aren't modern business
"practices" wonderful?

The notion that PostScript is "what has been" is just what Apple (and
their VERY strange bedfellow Microsoft) want you to believe. That you
imply that somehow only TrueType is "outline technology," and PostScript
isn't must have them giggling in their shirtcuffs.

Some facts:

1. PostScript is a page description language, which has incorporated in it
a very high order of graphic capability and very good outline fonts.

2. Apple developed TrueType because they were tired of paying high royalties
to Adobe (and aren't we all?), and because only their PostScript printers
offered decent typographic capabilities. (Only their PostScript printers
offered decent graphic capabilities, too, but somehow that got lost in users'
minds. Maybe it was because only their PostScript printers offered 300dpi
resolution, without which Quick Draw's shortcomings were hidden?)

3. Apple temporarily "abandoned" PostScript because they were tired of
paying high royalties to Adobe. (So was/am I. So are we all.)

4. Microsoft developed TrueType because Bill Gates was morally offended by a
non-Microsoft company making money. Well, that may be coloring it...

5. Since 3. happened coincident with 4., Apple decided to join Microsoft.
Apple figured that such harmony even overrode their look and feel lawsuit.
Thus was the "Marriage from Hell." Well, that may be coloring it...

6. Seeing that the font technology hegemony was about to be breached (to
mix some invidious metaphors), Adobe reacted. First, John Warnock got red in
the face, and petulantly announced that Adobe would make the details of Type 1
fonts public. (This ended Adobe's monopoly on high-quality PostScript type.
It took them 9 months to publish it. The secrets were already deduced by
other companies anyway.) Then, Adobe did something positive: they extended
PostScript font technology to the Macintosh (and later, PC) screens,
calling it ATM.

7. Apple's enhanced Quick Draw, which now contains TrueType, STILL does
not provide the graphic sophistication of PostScript.

8. TrueType does offer the typographic designer some refinements that
PostScript can only implement using multiple font sets. You REALLY have
to be a "guru" user of type to get into that level of improvements, in
most cases.

9. Apple later recanted their decision to abandon PostScript. Something
about howls of rage from quarters high and low...

10. The capabilities of TrueType (except for 8. above) have been provided
by PostScript for many years now. Even ATM, which moved those capabilities
onto the screen, is now several years old and has been enhanced several
times.

11. The capabilities of PostScript, on the other hand, have not yet been
matched by QuickDraw, even though the type capabilities have been brought
well up to date with TrueType.

Amazing what greed will do, isn't it? Now we have TWO type standards to
choose from, even though every type house could and can produce to either.
You the consumer benefit, right? Yeah, you benefit in higher prices because
of all this folderol. That's the long outcome. Apple and Microsoft have to
recoup their development costs, after all. However, until Apple/Microsoft
threatened Adobe, we did pay higher prices for printers. But again, since
the Type 1 font standard has been made public, Adobe hasn't exactly reduced
their prices for type, have they?
--
-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.                (503) 627-3437         briand@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM

glenn@huxley.huxley.bitstream.com (Glenn P. Parker) (04/04/91)

In article <1707@tekig7.MAP.TEK.COM> briand@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Brian D Diehm) writes:
> >...comparison of what has been (Postscript, ATM stuff, etc) what is
> >(Truetype, outline technology), and what will be (?). ...
>
> Ah, yes, pernicious "perception molding" at work. Aren't modern business
> "practices" wonderful?

A little paranoid, perhaps?  I read this as a turn of phrase, nothing more.

> Some facts:

Including some minor errors and some blatantly opinionated comments...

> 2. Apple developed TrueType because they were tired of paying high royalties
> to Adobe (and aren't we all?)...

Probably true in part, but there were certainly other reasons.
However, you contradict yourself later:

> 4. Microsoft developed TrueType because Bill Gates was morally offended by a
> non-Microsoft company making money. Well, that may be coloring it...

Perhaps you meant to refer to TrueImage, a completely separate technology.

> 8. TrueType does offer the typographic designer some refinements that
> PostScript can only implement using multiple font sets. You REALLY have
> to be a "guru" user of type to get into that level of improvements, in
> most cases.

Strictly your opinion.  TrueType has numerous advantages over Type 1 that
you seem to gloss over without a second look.  Whether you have to be a
"guru" or not remains to be seen, but I suggest that Type 1 fonts are not
the simple creatures you imply.  There are plenty of little details to
creating Type 1 fonts that are not documented anywhere.

> 9. Apple later recanted their decision to abandon PostScript. Something
> about howls of rage from quarters high and low...

Another way to look at this is that TrueType gave Apple the appropriate
leverage they needed with Adobe, and Apple quit pushing Adobe after they
got what they wanted.  There is also the question of the viability of
TrueImage.  Apple still needs Adobe, but they wanted to make sure that
Adobe understood that they needed Apple, too.

> 10. The capabilities of TrueType (except for 8. above) have been provided
> by PostScript for many years now. ...

ATM and TrueType both create bitmaps on the fly and both are integrated
into the QuickDraw font system.  Right.  But, what about all the stuff you
forgot to mention in point #8?  Like the fact that TrueType is capable of
emulating most of the existing font standards, or that it provides
unprecedented control over hinting that makes it unnecessary to include
low-res bitmaps.

> 11. The capabilities of PostScript, on the other hand, have not yet been
> matched by QuickDraw, even though the type capabilities have been brought
> well up to date with TrueType.

Sigh.  Not everybody needs PostScript, as evidenced by the staggering ratio
of non-PostScript to PostScript laser printers out there.

> Amazing what greed will do, isn't it? Now we have TWO type standards to
> choose from, even though every type house could and can produce to either.

Yeah, and if you were shopping for a car, you could buy a 1978 Le Mans, or
a 1991 Accord.  So what?  Things change.  Old technology is replaced by new
technology.  And for the record, there were already *lots* more than just
two type standards out there.

> You the consumer benefit, right? Yeah, you benefit in higher prices because
> of all this folderol. That's the long outcome.

Where?  What higher prices?  Apple has _lowered_ the price of its
computers.  Everybody is offering special prices on fonts.  Get a grip!

--
Glenn P. Parker       glenn@bitstream.com       Bitstream, Inc.
                      uunet!huxley!glenn        215 First Street

ewright@convex.com (Edward V. Wright) (04/05/91)

In article <1707@tekig7.MAP.TEK.COM> briand@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Brian D Diehm) writes:

>Some facts:

>1. PostScript is a page description language, which has incorporated in it
>a very high order of graphic capability and very good outline fonts.

Not quite. PostScript fonts are written in the PostScript language, but
they are not "incorporated into" (i.e., part of) the PostScript interpreter.

>4. Microsoft developed TrueType because Bill Gates was morally offended by a
>non-Microsoft company making money. Well, that may be coloring it...

TrueType was developed by Apple, not Microsoft.  Apple licensed TrueType
to Microsoft and received the right to use Microsoft's *TrueImage* PostScript
clone in exchange.  This apparently was a bad deal for Apple, since
TrueImage has never been used in any printer and reportedly doesn't
even work.

>10. The capabilities of TrueType (except for 8. above) have been provided
>by PostScript for many years now. Even ATM, which moved those capabilities
>onto the screen, is now several years old and has been enhanced several
>times.

I'm pretty sure that ATM is no more than two years old.

>Amazing what greed will do, isn't it? Now we have TWO type standards to
>choose from, even though every type house could and can produce to either.
>You the consumer benefit, right? Yeah, you benefit in higher prices because
>of all this folderol. That's the long outcome.

Do you have any evidence to back up this opinion?  Are TrueType fonts
more expensive than PostScript fonts?  (Not that that would prove much
at this stage, since TrueType is still new and it may take time for the
price to go down.)  Given that there are several utilities available for
converting PostScript fonts to TrueType, I don't see how a large price
differential could be maintained.

I do know that, thanks to TrueType, you can now buy a $1300 list laser
printer that does what only a $2600 machine could do before.  I suspect
that you can buy a lot of TrueType fonts for that $1300 difference.