[comp.fonts] What Font is Used on Highway Signs?

ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet (03/27/91)

As I was driving from Florida to Massachusetts along the Interstate, I began
wondering what font all those green highway signs are in. It's a sans serif,in
a bold style, but, though we're used to it, it's not particularly appealing. The
lower case letters seem rather clunky, especially the "g". Anyone know if this
font has a name? And, if it's possible to get it?

Just curious,
Kevin Bolduan
KSBOLDUAN@AMHERST

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (03/29/91)

In article <12539.27f0ac96@amherst.bitnet> ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet writes:
>As I was driving from Florida to Massachusetts along the Interstate, I
>began wondering what font all those green highway signs are in. It's a
>sans serif,in a bold style, but, though we're used to it, it's not
>particularly appealing. The lower case letters seem rather clunky,
>especially the "g". Anyone know if this font has a name? And, if it's
>possible to get it?

My great-uncle Andrew invented that font.

He actually once promised to will me the rights to it after his death.

But my hopes for the inheritance were dashed when...

he died interstate.

graham@cs.washington.edu (Stephen Graham) (03/30/91)

In article <12539.27f0ac96@amherst.bitnet> ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet writes:
>As I was driving from Florida to Massachusetts along the Interstate, I began
>wondering what font all those green highway signs are in. It's a sans serif,in
>a bold style, but, though we're used to it, it's not particularly appealing. The
>lower case letters seem rather clunky, especially the "g". Anyone know if this
>font has a name? And, if it's possible to get it?

I may be completely wrong, but I think it's a variant of Helvetica.
--

Steve Graham
graham@isis.ee.washington.edu

horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) (03/30/91)

In article <12539.27f0ac96@amherst.bitnet> ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet writes:
<
<As I was driving from Florida to Massachusetts along the Interstate, I began
<wondering what font all those green highway signs are in. It's a sans serif,in
<a bold style, but, though we're used to it, it's not particularly appealing.

Speak for yourself.  I'm rather fond of it.  (Not that I'd set a book in it,
though.  :-) )

					--Scott

--
Scott Horne                               ...!{harvard,cmcl2,decvax}!yale!horne
horne@cs.Yale.edu      SnailMail:  Box 7196 Yale Station, New Haven, CT   06520

sw@ (Steve Warner) (03/31/91)

In article <12539.27f0ac96@amherst.bitnet> ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet writes:
>As I was driving from Florida to Massachusetts along the Interstate, I began
>wondering what font all those green highway signs are in. It's a sans serif,in
>a bold style, but, though we're used to it, it's not particularly appealing. The
>lower case letters seem rather clunky, especially the "g". Anyone know if this
>font has a name? And, if it's possible to get it?

The numerals are closely approximated by Adobe's CARTA font.  The letters,
I have no idea.
-
Steve

--
----
Steve Warner   -  Fremont, CA, USA  etc...

balcer@jaguar.siemens.com (Marc J Balcer) (04/02/91)

ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet writes:

>As I was driving from Florida to Massachusetts along the Interstate, I began
>wondering what font all those green highway signs are in. It's a sans serif,in
>a bold style, but, though we're used to it, it's not particularly appealing. The
>lower case letters seem rather clunky, especially the "g". Anyone know if this
>font has a name? And, if it's possible to get it?

I believe that this font is now a Federal standard that dates back to the
beginnings of the Interstate Highway System, although its first use
was most likely on the New Jersey Turnpike in the early 50's.  Some of
the old signs are still around, particularly south of Exit 7.
You'll notice that they are white-on-black, not white-on-green.
Also they use that funny curving arrow to mark exits.  Take
note of the backlit signs at the end of the Turnpike near the Holland
Tunnel (Exit 14C) and southbound at Exit 6 (PA Turnpike).
They are true 50's artifacts.

The font itself is rather unique in that many of the end caps of
lower case letters are angled.  Also note that the font contains
capitals, lowercase, and small capitals (used for keywords like
NORTH and EXIT).

I'm sure that a call to a state highway department would yield :-)
the correct answer.
Marc J. Balcer	[mbalcer@siemens.siemens.com]
Siemens Corporate Research, 755 College Road East, Princeton, NJ 08540
(609) 734-6531		FAX (609) 734-6565

ross@bmers213.bnr.ca (Ross Brown) (04/02/91)

In article <balcer.670524673@jaguar>, balcer@jaguar.siemens.com (Marc J Balcer) writes:

|> I believe that this font is now a Federal standard that dates back to the
|> beginnings of the Interstate Highway System, although its first use
|> was most likely on the New Jersey Turnpike in the early 50's.

Marc is right on both points.  It is a US Dept. of Transportation standard,
published in the form of a booklet (title escapes me).  The booklet contains
all six font series (A, the narrowest, rarely used, through F, the broadest,
suitable only for "DIP" signs), laid out on graph squares for easy eyeballing.
In the back of the booklet are lookup tables for spacing.

The fonts were designed for optimum readability and easy fabrication.  The
letter forms are clearly based on straight lines and circular arcs, though
the radii and centers are not specified.

I wrote to the Dept. when I was about 12, and they kindly sent me (a Canuck!)
the font booklet and a companion volume of highway sign specs free of charge.
I imagine you can still get them.

Ross Brown, Dept. 7D76  < Bell-Northern Research     >  Just the facts, ma'am.
ross@bnr.ca             < P. O. Box 3511, Station C  >  We don't care whose
awol@awol.on.can.na     < Ottawa, ON, Canada K1Y 4H7 >  opinions yours aren't.

karl@apple-gunkies.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Karl Berry) (04/03/91)

ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet writes:

>As I was driving from Florida to Massachusetts along the Interstate, I began
>wondering what font all those green highway signs are in. It's a sans serif,in
>a bold style, but, though we're used to it, it's not particularly appealing. The
>lower case letters seem rather clunky, especially the "g". Anyone know if this
>font has a name? And, if it's possible to get it?

I believe it is a variant of Helvetica, as a previous poster said.  I
know that the U.S. Army Engineering Corps (or whatever their exact name
is) conducted a lot of tests for readability as to type style, size,
etc.

Other people have commented on the mutilated `g' -- Hermann Zapf, for
example.  He mentions it in passing in one of his articles in HZ and
His Design Philosophy (Society of Typographic Arts, Chicago. 1987. ISBN
0-941447-00-6).

I find the biggest lose on the highway signs is the lack of secondary
leading, e.g., a sign that has
Jonesville
Center
Smithtown

has the same amount of vertical space between `Jonesville' and `Center'
as between `Center' and `Smithtown', although the latter should have
more.

karl@cs.umb.edu

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (04/04/91)

	Just a wild guess, but I wonder if it's any of the Hershey fonts?
Didn't Hershey work for the DOT, or something like that?  The Hershey font
set includes symbols like the "US Interstate" shield, etc.

	As a bit of trivia, the US Defense Mapping Agency (or whatever they
currently happen to be calling themselves) puts out a variety of universal
plotting sheets used for navigation (plotting sheets are essentailly blank
mercator grids with unlabeled lat/long lines, scales, compass roses, etc,
but no geographic features).  The lettering on them is, I'm virtually
certain, one of the Hershey fonts.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"

ross@bmers213.bnr.ca (Ross Brown) (04/08/91)

[Article resent due to distribution error.  Apologies to those hit twice.]