[comp.fonts] fonts royalties

quangl@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Quang Le) (04/12/91)

Anyone could please answer for me this question?
	I want to modify some common fonts (Times, Courier,...) by adding some special characters which are only used in Vietnamese writing.
If I distribute these fonts to other people (with or without fee), do I have to pay royalties to Adobe? Assume that my customers are already licensed to use those fonts (English character set) in their computers.
	Thank you in advance.
	Quang Le at    quangl@oakhill.sps.mot.com

 quangl@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Quang Le) writes:

> Anyone could please answer for me this question?

> I want to modify some common fonts (Times, Courier,...) by adding some
> special characters which are only used in Vietnamese writing. If I
> distribute these fonts to other people (with or without fee), do I
> have to pay royalties to Adobe? Assume that my customers are already
> licensed to use those fonts (English character set) in their
> computers.

Far and away the best thing to do is to avoid the issue.  If the fonts
for which you are distributing changes are in a printable ASCII form,
distribute your changes in the style of the Unix diff and patch programs,
analogs of which should be available on pretty much any computer.  If
you are distributing changes to binary fonts, write a small binary
patch program (trivial to do for a special purpose patch) that adds your
material to their (backup) copy of their fonts.

This will be far simpler than trying to make sure your customer actually
has a licence, and getting clearances from font vendors to redistribute
their fonts, and is a general solution to all problems of this type.

Kent, the man from xanth.