[comp.fonts] First faces in the Multiple Master format

norman@d.cs.okstate.edu (Norman Graham) (04/09/91)

I was considering the purchase of the Univers family, but then I
realized that Univers should be a perfect face for Adobe's new
multiple master technology. That got me wondering: which faces will
we see in MM format? Anyone care to comment? I'll start the list with
the easy ones:

  - Univers
  - Neue Helvetica
  - Futura

--
Norman Graham

<norman@a.cs.okstate.edu>                 Standard Disclaimer Applies
{cbosgd,rutgers}!okstate!norman

kibo@jec311.its.rpi.edu (James 'Kibo' Parry) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr9.001714.11592@d.cs.okstate.edu> norman@d.cs.okstate.edu (Norman Graham) writes:
>I was considering the purchase of the Univers family, but then I
>realized that Univers should be a perfect face for Adobe's new
>multiple master technology. That got me wondering: which faces will
>we see in MM format? Anyone care to comment? I'll start the list with
>the easy ones:
>
>  - Univers
>  - Neue Helvetica
>  - Futura

I think Univers and Neue Helvetica would be *much* easier to MM-ize than
Futura, based on my experience with things like Metafont.  The design of
some Futura letters changes completely when the weights change.
(The "J", "G", and "Q" change their basic shape, and many details
change--compre a Futura Light "M" to a Futura Extra Bold "M".

Hmm, actually, the Helvetica "a" has a tail that disappears suddenly
when the font becomes bold, doesn't it?

Do the MM fonts provide for features that can appear conditionally (i.e.
switching from one "a" to the other under certain conditions) as
Metafont does, or are they mere interpolations/extrapolations between
pairs of outlines?

I expect that faces designed with Ikarus should prove easy to translate,
at least as far as a sliding-scale-of-weights go (after all, that's
Ikarus's strength.)  I've designed some fonts recently that way (letting
the computer calculate interpolation/extrapolation between weights), and
while I often do want to touch up details, it is a tremendously useful
technique, especially for testing choices of weights...

You can usually spot Ikarus-designed faces in listings by the way the
several weights of the font align in a perfect trapezoid as everything
changes from Light to Black in smooth steps; for instance, Ellington
(one of Monotype's newest faces) looks that way.

Do I ever wish I had my own Ikarus setup... if my consulting work is
profitable enough, Ikarus is on my shopping list.

[disclaimer: if I've said anything obviously stupid above, please
correct me.  I can't pretend to know too much about Ikarus.]

--

James "Kibo" Parry       kibo@rpi.edu
132 Beacon St. #213, Boston, MA 02116

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (04/09/91)

In article <rxbgzr+@rpi.edu>, kibo@jec311.its.rpi.edu (James 'Kibo' Parry) writes:
> In article <1991Apr9.001714.11592@d.cs.okstate.edu> norman@d.cs.okstate.edu (Norman Graham) writes:
>>I was considering the purchase of the Univers family, but then I
>>realized that Univers should be a perfect face for Adobe's new
>>multiple master technology. That got me wondering: which faces will
>>we see in MM format? Anyone care to comment? I'll start the list with
>>the easy ones:

> I think Univers and Neue Helvetica would be *much* easier to MM-ize than
> Futura, based on my experience with things like Metafont.  The design of
> some Futura letters changes completely when the weights change.
> (The "J", "G", and "Q" change their basic shape, and many details
> change--compre a Futura Light "M" to a Futura Extra Bold "M".

I once had an opportunity to attend a workshop with Sumner Stone
of Adobe where he discussed their methods of type design. They
use really naive methods for getting boldface fonts: the medium
weight face is drawn by hand, scanned and splines are fitted to
it. Other weights are then created by moving the control points
for the splines. Period. Occasionally, they may do more subtle
adjustments, but that's a rarity.

In any event, unless they provide something like decent
design-sizing, it seems to me that the whole multiple master idea
is a wash. How often do you really need more than two weights of
any given typeface? When was the last time you used an expanded
or compressed font. (OK, the latter has some uses in graphic
arts, in particular, back in my newspaper days, we would fudge
headlines by expanding or compressing the typeface. I have fond
memories of the day that we accidentally requested 36pt Century
schoolbook at 17% instead of 117%. Yeesh, you'd think the
typesetters would catch something like that). But anyway, for
realistic typesetting, including graphic arts work, a great deal
of metaness is not a useful thing and makes the type design
rather difficult (few type designers are willing to give up
drawing the letters precisely by hand and there's an end to the
design process. MF never caught on because for a truly meta
design, the designer must abandon the visual process entirely and
it's not a trivial endeavor. The end result is that we see a lot
of half-baked MF code, designers decide that it's not a real tool
and it slowly dies off. The only reason it gets used at all is
because it's the only font system with a clean interface to TeX
and until  Adobe finally released Lucida CM was the most complete
math symbol set around (although it's frightening to see the
number of people Who Should Know Better mixing cm math with other
faces. yuck. But anyway, the whole point of this tirade is that
despite Adobe's having some top-notch designers on their staff
(well maybe not quite that top-notch. To be honest, I wasn't all
that impressed with Stone's work although some of the other
designers have done some nice faces. They have a nice sans-serif
based on Greek mss that's kind of nice) they still are more than
willing to make stupid design decisions with their faces.

-dh

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (04/10/91)

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) writes:

   They use really naive methods for getting boldface fonts: the
   medium weight face is drawn by hand, scanned and splines are fitted
   to it. Other weights are then created by moving the control points
   for the splines. Period.

While this may be true (or may have been true) for Adobe designs, it
is quite obviously not true for their interpretations of existing type
faces.  I often manipulate characters as outlines in Illustrator 3.0,
and based on my observations so far, I'd say that the above method is
the exception, not the rule...

--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda

FLEGLEI@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu (04/17/91)

I have to agree with the previous post (I lack an include prev msg function)
that Adobe is not so naive as to simply interpolate or extrapolate other
weights of the font. Having heard Sumner Stone, the former director of their
type development division, speak on how he developed the Stone families of
faces, it is obvious that they often use interpolations as starting points
for intermediate weights which are then modified into something appropriate.
For getting the stroke weight right, apparently, interpolation does
marvels; getting the feel right is another story.