[comp.fonts] Unbinhexing the mac files from the archive at umich

magid@avalanche.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Magid) (04/15/91)

How does one unzip a binhexed file?  I have unsit and unpackit for the pc but I
am unable to find binhex 4 for the pc.  Any help would be apprecited.  Is it
possible for the people at umich to make the files available in an unbinhexed
form.

Paul

roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (04/16/91)

magid@avalanche.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Magid) writes:

> How does one unzip a binhexed file?  I have unsit and unpackit for the pc but
> am unable to find binhex 4 for the pc.  Any help would be apprecited.  Is it
> possible for the people at umich to make the files available in an unbinhexed
> form.

PD1:<MSDOS.MAC>XBIN23.ZIP on SIMTEL does the trick nicely for me.

--
Roy M. Silvernail --  roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu - OR-  cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu
  perl -e '$x = 1/20; print "Just my \$$x! (adjusted for inflation)\n"'

leslie@book.dle.dg.com (Leslie French) (04/17/91)

In a similar vein, is there a non-Mac (i.e. source) version of a
programme to unpack the 'Compacted' fonts which are now appearing in
the archives (those called X.cpt.hqx)? Failing that, is the format
documented so *I* can write one?

    Leslie French

gort@cup.portal.com (george d harrington) (04/22/91)

>In a similar vein, is there a non-Mac (i.e. source) version of a
>programme to unpack the 'Compacted' fonts which are now appearing in
>the archives (those called X.cpt.hqx)? Failing that, is the format
>documented so *I* can write one?
>
>    Leslie French

No, the author uses a proprietary format. Also, while stuffit 1.5.1
had a documented format, stuffit 1.6 and Stuffit Deluxe also use proprietary
formats.
      gort@cup.portal.com