[comp.fonts] naive question about uncial

caughey@stout.UVic.CA (Dave Caughey) (04/24/91)

Sorry if this has already been posted, but our mailer behaviour tends to lead
me to believe that it didn't....

I have a couple of miscellaneous questions...

1)  What is the name of the double-dotted 'i' used in words such as "naive".
Do any fonts include it?  Is it used in any other word besides "naive"?

2)  Does anyone know of a (preferably PD) celtic-style font.  The one I am
thinking of in particular is 'uncial' (at least that's what it's called in
letraset catalogues.)  Bitmap is okay.  Intended platform is mac and/or Sun
running X-windows.

Thanks muchly

Dave Caughey
caughey@sirius.uvic.ca

amy.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Amy Brown) (04/24/91)

caughey@stout.UVic.CA (Dave  Caughey) writes:

> Sorry if this has already been posted, but our mailer behaviour tends to lead
> me to believe that it didn't....
>
> I have a couple of miscellaneous questions...
>
> 1)  What is the name of the double-dotted 'i' used in words such as "naive".
> Do any fonts include it?  Is it used in any other word besides "naive"?
>
> 2)  Does anyone know of a (preferably PD) celtic-style font.  The one I am
> thinking of in particular is 'uncial' (at least that's what it's called in
> letraset catalogues.)  Bitmap is okay.  Intended platform is mac and/or Sun
> running X-windows.
>
> Thanks muchly
>
> Dave Caughey
> caughey@sirius.uvic.ca

The double dots are called ... well I don't know how to spell it but it is
pronounced OOM-lots (possibly umlot?).  On a Mac you can produce the
character in most fonts by typing option u and the character... don't know
any other way.

Amy Brown
amy.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu

"If what's WEIRD to 'normal' people is NORMAL to 'weird' people, then what
is weird and what is normal???"
          -My unanswered life story

"Stay sane inside insanity..."
          -Columbia, RHPS

mac@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Alex Colvin) (04/24/91)

A dieresis is a pair of dots over the second vowel in a pair that are
pronounced separately, as in nai:f, coo:perate, no:el.

The same mark is used in German as the "umlaut", to blend in an "e" sound.
And in physics to denote the 2nd derivative with respect to time (fluon?).

For an uncial font for the Macintosh, check out the MU archives
(um-mts.cc.umich.edu) directory PC2: file "FO/IE" (179K binhex, stuffit),
which is based on the Book of Kells.

davis@3d.enet.dec.com (Peter Davis) (04/24/91)

The two dots over a letter are called an umlaut.