[comp.fonts] naive

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (04/25/91)

I'd answered in mail, but since this has come up in a couple of postings...

davis@3d.enet.dec.com (Peter Davis) writes:
> The two dots over a letter are called an umlaut.

Strictly, the mark is called a dieresis.  You can call it an umlaut and
the intent will be understood, but umlaut tends to imply specific German
usage, and German doesn't use umlaut over "i"--it's only on the strong
vowels--"a", "o", "u".  The "i-dieresis" is French usage.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...While you were reading this, Motif grew by another kilobyte.

cet1@cl.cam.ac.uk (C.E. Thompson) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr24.180811.1957@ico.isc.com> rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>I'd answered in mail, but since this has come up in a couple of postings...
>
>davis@3d.enet.dec.com (Peter Davis) writes:
>> The two dots over a letter are called an umlaut.
>
>Strictly, the mark is called a dieresis.  ...

Strictly, "dieresis" is an americanism. Those of who spell proper call it
a diaeresis. I have to admit that we pronounce it "di-eresis", though.

Chris Thompson
JANET:    cet1@uk.ac.cam.phx
Internet: cet1%phx.cam.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

martin@cat.de (Thomas Martin) (04/28/91)

Dick Dunn (rcd@ico.isc.com) schrieb am 24. 4.:
> I'd answered in mail, but since this has come up in a couple of postings...
>
> davis@3d.enet.dec.com (Peter Davis) writes:
> > The two dots over a letter are called an umlaut.
>
> Strictly, the mark is called a dieresis.  You can call it an umlaut and
> the intent will be understood, but umlaut tends to imply specific German
> usage, and German doesn't use umlaut over "i"--it's only on the strong
> vowels--"a", "o", "u".  The "i-dieresis" is French usage.

I agree on that (I'm german), but the French call it a Trema. My dictionary
defines dieresis (german: Dia:rese) and Trema (sorry, this is the german
spelling but I think it should be the same in English as it is a Greek word)
nearly identically but puts more emphasis on the two dots in explaining Trema.
So Trema should be a little more accurate also because the French use this
expression as well for describing this character. For this i: they would say:
"i trema".

Regards,

Thomas Martin

---
  Thomas Martin (martin@cat.de)
  C.A.T. Kommunikations-System, Frankfurt, Germany

cbwood@churchy.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Clifton B. Wood) (04/28/91)

OK, I'm finally fed up with searching for fonts that apparently don't exist
anywhere where they can access them, and I have too many ideas for fonts right
now that I have decided to MAKE MY OWN now the question is:

	HOW DO I GO ABOUT DOING THIS?

Any information on where I can find a decent font editor (one that allows you
to edit the actual APPERANCE of the characters. ZSoft's SoftType doesn't allow
you to do this at all) then any locations of available public domain software
or marketing information on commercial software would be GREATLY appreciated.

Prefered font editors are: Postscript (obviously) or URW. Thanks.
				Cliff
				cbwood@gnu.ai.mit.edu
				aralyn@eddie.ee.vt.edu

"And remember, my son: Nothing is ever absolute..."
said the teacher before he dissappeared from this plain like a passing tought
through an open mind.

"Purple Rain! Purple Rain!" -- Prince, probably one of the best musical talents
who has ever lived.