[comp.fonts] Free PostScript Font Catalogue

lee@sq.sq.com (Liam R. E. Quin) (05/01/91)

There are a lot of PostScript fonts floating around....

Some of them are for ATM, some are for the mac, most can be converted to
work with almost anything if you have a spare year or two...

It would help a lot if there was a little more sanity.

How about

* making afm files available for all these fonts?

* a printed catalogue of public domain fonts.
  Would you be willing to pay postage-plus-printing-costs for a hard-copy
  printout of them all, perhaps in loose-leaf four-hole A4 format[(or
  whatever the locals use here in North America :-)]?
  How much is a reasonable price?  US$10?
  I am prepared to do this over the next few months if there is interest.
  Mail me and tell me.

* an ftp server that could conver file formats on the fly.
  Then you could change directory to
	pub/fonts/mac	-- stuffed-up trash-hex
	pub/fonts/ibmpc	-- Automatic Teller Mach -- er, ATM format
	pub/fonts/ascii1-- type 1 ascii
	pub/fonts/ascii3-- type 3 ascii
  This isn't too hard to do, and if I was on the Internet directly and
  had disk space I'd even do it.

* an Internet font server using the ISO distributed font protocol (it's
  saner than OSI, don't worry!).  Or even using the new X11 font protocol,
  with the necessary modifications.
  In this way a few sites could each carry subsets of fonts, and anyone
  on the net could use them...

Interested?

Lee

--
Liam Russell Quin, SoftQuad Inc., Toronto... 416 963 8337... lee@sq.com
	   `What one person finds valuable others do not even notice.

ar12@prism.gatech.EDU (REGISTER,ANDREW H) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.203505.22204@sq.sq.com>, lee@sq.sq.com (Liam R. E. Quin) writes:
> There are a lot of PostScript fonts floating around....
>
> * a printed catalogue of public domain fonts.
>   Would you be willing to pay postage-plus-printing-costs for a hard-copy
>   printout of them all, perhaps in loose-leaf four-hole A4 format[(or
>   whatever the locals use here in North America :-)]?
>   How much is a reasonable price?  US$10?
>   I am prepared to do this over the next few months if there is interest.
>   Mail me and tell me.

I have compiled just such a catalogue.  It is printed on a hp-laserjet II and
not a postscript printer (yet).  It is on 8.5x11 sheets and has a table at the
top with all chars 32 through 255 printed.  At the bottom of each page is an
example of a variety of type sizes from 40 to 6.  Also there is a short
paragraph at 10pts.  All the fonts on cica.cica.indiana.edu are in there!

It is already about 100 pages and I still have about 30 or so pages to send
to the printer.  The print files are made, just the printing needs to be
done.  So if you are looking at about 150 pages, at about 10 cents a page,
plus binding at about $3, plus shipping at (this is a wild guess) $3, plus
paying the shareware or useware fees (as it turns out some of the better
fonts are shareware) which would amount to about $250, I would think that
$25 would be a better price estimate.  I am not volunteering to make such a
catalogue but if there is enough interest at $25 I might be willing.

Also, I am thinking about printing them all on a postscript printer using
the same table format.  I know for a fact that some of the fonts do not
print correctly under postscript but do print correctly on the hp.  I might be
willing to distribute this to folks for the same amount if and when I print
it.

e-mail is appropriate for any future correspondence since this could be
construed by the use-net police as a commercial use. ;-)

Toodles
Andy

--
Andy Register  Internet: ar12@prism.gatech.edu   Bitnet: aregiste@gtri01.bitnet

-- Sometimes the Bears Win, Sometimes the Bulls Win --
    -------- But the Pigs *Always* Lose --------              (author unknown)

brownd@agnes.acc.stolaf.edu (David H. Brown) (05/03/91)

In article <1991Apr30.203505.22204@sq.sq.com> lee@sq.sq.com (Liam R. E. Quin) writes:
>[...]
>How about
>* a printed catalogue of public domain fonts.
>  Would you be willing to pay postage-plus-printing-costs for a hard-copy
>  printout of them all, perhaps in loose-leaf four-hole A4 format[(or
>  whatever the locals use here in North America :-)]?
>  How much is a reasonable price?  US$10?
>  I am prepared to do this over the next few months if there is interest.
>  Mail me and tell me.
> [...]
>Interested?
>Lee
>
>--
>Liam Russell Quin, SoftQuad Inc., Toronto... 416 963 8337... lee@sq.com
>	   `What one person finds valuable others do not even notice.
>	    And they do not notice that they do not notice.'
>-- Scott Kim, `Interdisciplinary Communication', in `The Art of [HCI] Design'

	Sure, I'm interested. Particularly in the font catalog, but in the
other ideas you mention as well. If this happens in the time my email address
is still valid (about another year as an alum), consider my $10 yours.

Of course, assuming that the catalog comes into existance before any
centralized distribution network, it would be surpassingly useful if
locations of the fonts were included.

Also, by "printed," it would be great if you meant printed in the typeface
being listed.

Thanks for your effort, assuming you have time to actually do this!

Dave Brown
brownd@agnes.acc.stolaf.edu