[comp.fonts] Adobe Type Manager and postscript files

ciancarini-paolo@cs.yale.edu (paolo ciancarini) (05/09/91)

I have just installed my Adobe Type Manager 2.0 in my MacPortable, system 6.0.4;
I removed my old fonts, and started using the fonts that came
with the package.

Since in my office there is not an Appletalk connection,
I print my Mac documents on a laserprinter connected to a Sun.
I upload my Postscript files
using a serial cable and a terminal program;
then I print the files from the Sun using the program macps.

I see that after installing ATM the Postscript files created by my Mac
are MUCH MUCH longer: for instance, a one page Word file, that before ATM was about 2-3K
when saved as postscript, now it is more than 50K !
So uploading the files now takes minutes instead of seconds.

I would like to keep installed ATM, but also have short Postscript files
to upload. Is this impossible?
Note that I did a try also disactivating ATM through the Control Panel
before creating the Postscript image, but nothing changed:
huge files were created again.

Any help will be appreciated. And any pointer
to a document introducing ATM, Truetype, Type 1 fonts,
type 3 fonts, etc., would be welcome
(is there a FAQ in this newsgroup? I never saw one
in the last six months).

Paolo Ciancarini

lardieri@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Stephen P Lardieri) (05/09/91)

Before printing a file, the laserwriter driver checks to see if any fonts
need to be downloaded.  Normally, it asks the attached laserwriter for a
font directory, and then compares this to the fonts requested in the file
it is printing.  If it finds a font in the file that isn't already in the
laser printer, it looks for it in the System Folder and the application's
folder.  If it can't find a PostScript font there, it creates a bitmap equal
to (about) 4 times the size needed, and downloads that instead.

Since there is no laser printer attached to your machine, the laserwriter
driver thinks there are no fonts already resident in the printer it is
"printing" to, so it tries to download EVERY font used in the document.
Naturally, all those fonts are present in the System Folder; you installed
them there when you were installing ATM.  So they all get included in the
PostScript file you are making with cmd-F.

The only way around this that I know of is to rename the PostScript fonts
in the System Folder before trying to print.  Turning off ATM will do nothing,
since it isn't ATM's fault that the fonts' postscript code is getting
included in the first place; it's the LaserWriter driver's fault.

elliott@veronica.cs.wisc.edu (James Elliott) (05/10/91)

In <1991May8.185123.6001@cs.yale.edu> ciancarini-paolo@cs.yale.edu (paolo ciancarini) writes:
> I print my Mac documents on a laserprinter connected to a Sun.
> I upload my Postscript files
> using a serial cable and a terminal program;
> then I print the files from the Sun using the program macps.

> I see that after installing ATM the Postscript files created by my
> Mac are MUCH MUCH longer: for instance, a one page Word file, that
> before ATM was about 2-3K when saved as postscript, now it is more
> than 50K !  So uploading the files now takes minutes instead of
> seconds.

I discovered the same problem last fall. It's not ATM's fault at all,
actually, but the LaserWriter driver: Whenever you print a document
that uses PostScript fonts for which the outline fonts are available
in the System folder, it will assume that the fonts are not available
on the printer, and put a copy of those fonts into the PostScript
file.

Adobe Type Manager needs the outline fonts in order to render the nice
characters on your display, and so it needs outlines even for fonts
that are in the printer ROM. So, unfortunately, you end up with
redundant fonts making your documents huge (in my case, growing from
30K to >400K sometimes.)

Fancier page-design programs (like Aldus PageMaker) know about the
fonts resident in different printers, and make their own decisions
about which fonts to download. However, it's still necessary to use
other programs from time to time, so it would be nice to have a
workaround. Also, even if I am using fonts that are NOT built in to
the printer (which is pretty frequently these days), I'd prefer to be
able to upload them just once, and then keep a copy on the UNIX side
to make things faster from then on.

So, I wrote a program to do these things. It is called StripFonts, and
it takes a PostScript file and strips out fonts that are built in to
the printer. It knows about LaserWriters and LaserWriter Pluses (which
include the II series, as far as fonts go), and can read Aldus Printer
Descriptions to learn about different printers.

It also will strip out fonts that it knows you have already uploaded
to UNIX. (There is a UNIX end that restores them to the document
before sending it to the printer, and which generates reports about
what fonts are available that can be downloaded back to the Mac to
tell StripFonts what to strip.)

The program is written in Think C using the Think Class Library (what
a gift to fledgling programmers!) and seems pretty robust. However,
there are a few things unfinished: There is no documentation yet, and
there are some features I wanted to add, like manual editing of font
lists from within the program.

My summer break starts in a week, and I was planning to deal with
these issues then. So, if you can wait a few weeks I can give you a
polished version of the program. If not, I can mail you the current
one, which works fine for me, and try to explain it.

Note that the UNIX side is presently written as a shell script and
Emacs LISP, so you will need to have GNU Emacs in order to use it.
This is another thing I want to fix; I'd like to have a nice portable
C program on the UNIX end.

--
Jim Elliott		      "Like a bridge he'll come between us, not a wall"
elliott@veronica.cs.wisc.edu