[comp.fonts] List of Fonts

Matt.Caprile@ec.bull.fr (Matt.Caprile) (06/14/90)

I am trying to compile a list of available fonts (Public Domain, Shareware,
and Commercial). Since "I'm looking for font XXX" seems to be a frequently
asked question, I think that this would be very useful.

If you know of any font in any format whatsoever that doesn't come
"standard" with a particular package, send me e-mail. I will summarize and
post the results in about 3 weeks. Please try to be specific concerning
the "format" (metafont, PostScript, Word version 341.2a, Mac,...) and the
contents (mathematical symbols, 8859/1 codeset, Ancient Greek, ...).

Please try and include:

 -  Format of font (PostScript, MetaFont, Word, HPlaserjet+, Mac, ...)
 -  Type of glyphs in font (8859/1, Mathematical Symbols, Ancient Greek ...)
 -  PD, ShareWare, Commercial
 -  If commercial, name of company, price, etc.
 -  Where and/or how to get it (ftp, mail server, snail mail, company, ...)
 -  Other info you think is pertanent or useful.

Thanks,

Matt.Caprile@ec.bull.fr
Bull S.A., France.

--
 Matt.Caprile@ec.bull.fr  (or  {uunet!}inria!ec.bull.fr!Matt.Caprile)
 Bull S.A.

amy.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Amy Brown) (04/17/91)

I would like to know where I could get a listing of Adobe fonts in the
particular typeface so named (Times being in Times, Helvetica being in
Helvetica.. you get the picture).  I tried to download a stack someone put
up for me on another BBS, but it doesn't work for some reason, and I REALLY
need a list of fonts, as I am trying to locate on that I don't know the
name of, only what it looks like.  If anyone can help me, please do.
Thanks in advance.

Amy Brown
amy.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu

"If what's WEIRD to 'normal' people is NORMAL to 'weird' people, then what
is weird and what is normal???"

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (04/17/91)

<81Fi12w163w@shark.cs.fau.edu>, amy.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Amy Brown) asks
about identifying a font; unfortunately, "amy.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu" gives
"User unknown".  (May as well post; it might be useful to others.)

> I would like to know where I could get a listing of Adobe fonts in the
> particular typeface so named (Times being in Times, Helvetica being in
> Helvetica.. you get the picture)...

First bet is the index to Adobe's magazine, "Font & Function".  It has
small samples of all the faces in current packages.

> ...I am trying to locate on that I don't know the
> name of, only what it looks like...

You could also try describing it to us here; I'm sure the Phont Phreaques
in the group could narrow it down for you pretty quickly.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...While you were reading this, Motif grew by another kilobyte.

amy.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Amy Brown) (04/17/91)

> > ...I am trying to locate on that I don't know the
> > name of, only what it looks like...
>
> You could also try describing it to us here; I'm sure the Phont Phreaques
> in the group could narrow it down for you pretty quickly.

I did describe it in an earlier post...  it is the font on the B-52's album
Bouncing Off The Satellites, and is also on the credits of Green Acres
(scary, eh???).  Looks like dom casual A LITTLE, but like stretched out
horizontally.  If anyone wants to catch an episode of green acres to help
me, it's on Nickelodeon at like 10:30 PM EST (grin).

Amy

Amy Brown
amy.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu

"If what's WEIRD to 'normal' people is NORMAL to 'weird' people, then what
is weird and what is normal???"

"HA!  >I've< seen it!" ...AND I DON'T DO LAUNDRY!
          -Columbia, RHPS

kchang@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Kenneth Chang) (04/17/91)

In article <6o7i12w163w@shark.cs.fau.edu> amy.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Amy Brown) writes:
>I did describe it in an earlier post...  it is the font on the B-52's album
>Bouncing Off The Satellites, and is also on the credits of Green Acres
>(scary, eh???).  Looks like dom casual A LITTLE, but like stretched out
>horizontally.  If anyone wants to catch an episode of green acres to help
>me, it's on Nickelodeon at like 10:30 PM EST (grin).

I haven't seen the one on Green Acres, but the font on the B-52's album
looks like hand-lettering. Look closely at the 'E's. They're not identical.
Neither Adobe nor Bitstream have the font. (Dom Casual is the closest.)
The Image Club has something called "Balloon" which is vaguely close but
also would have to be stretched horizontally. It's also somewhat slanted
whereas the font on the B-52s album is upright.
--
  Kenneth Chang           | National Center for Supercomputing Applications
  kchang@ncsa.uiuc.edu    |                 Consulting Office/(217)244-1144

kchang@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Kenneth Chang) (04/18/91)

Whoops.

In article <1991Apr17.160027.28295@ncsa.uiuc.edu> I wrote
>In article <6o7i12w163w@shark.cs.fau.edu> amy.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Amy Brown) writes:
>>I did describe it in an earlier post...  it is the font on the B-52's album
>>Bouncing Off The Satellites, and is also on the credits of Green Acres
>>(scary, eh???).
[a couple of sentences deleted]

>I haven't seen the one on Green Acres, but the font on the B-52's album
>looks like hand-lettering. Look closely at the 'E's. They're not identical.
>Neither Adobe nor Bitstream have the font. (Dom Casual is the closest.)
>The Image Club has something called "Balloon" which is vaguely close but
>also would have to be stretched horizontally. It's also somewhat slanted
>whereas the font on the B-52s album is upright.

Another look through the Bitstream catalog reveals they too have "Balloon".
They also have a font called "Freehand 575" which is the closest
approximation that I could find.

--

dkletter@adobe.COM (SUGAR in their vitamins?) (04/18/91)

In article <81Fi12w163w@shark.cs.fau.edu> amy.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Amy Brown) writes:
>I would like to know where I could get a listing of Adobe fonts in the
>particular typeface so named

if you call Adobe's 800 sales number they will send you a copy of the font
flyer which lists every font sold in their own typeface.

--
Yes.  Beautiful, wonderful nature.  Hear it sing to us: *snap*  Yes.  natURE.

amy.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Amy Brown) (04/18/91)

dkletter@adobe.COM (SUGAR in their vitamins?) writes:

> if you call Adobe's 800 sales number they will send you a copy of the font
> flyer which lists every font sold in their own typeface.

Can you please post the number?  Thanks in advance.

Amy Brown
amy.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu

"If what's WEIRD to 'normal' people is NORMAL to 'weird' people, then what
is weird and what is normal???"
          -My unanswered life story

"Stay sane inside insanity..."
          -Columbia, RHPS

cbwood@churchy.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Clifton B. Wood) (04/18/91)

It was mentioned somewhere that there is an Adobe magazine called "Font & Function" out there. Anybody know how I can find a copy?

pbombach@caen.engin.umich.edu (Pacharintra Bombach) (04/18/91)

I don't have the ADOBE 800 number on hand, but if you call 1-800-555-1212,
you get 800 information.  You will be able to get the number from them.

Paul Bombach

graham@june.cs.washington.edu (Stephen Graham) (04/18/91)

In article <15010@life.ai.mit.edu> cbwood@churchy.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Clifton B. Wood) writes:
>It was mentioned somewhere that there is an Adobe magazine called "Font & Function" out there. Anybody know how I can find a copy?

In a similar vein, does anyone know the subscription information for U&lc?

thanks in advance
--

Steve Graham
graham@isis.ee.washington.edu

mikel@dosbears.UUCP (Mike Lipsie) (04/19/91)

In article <y81k13w163w@shark.cs.fau.edu> amy.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Amy Brown) writes:
>dkletter@adobe.COM (SUGAR in their vitamins?) writes:
>>
>> if you call Adobe's 800 sales number they will send you a copy of the font
>> flyer which lists every font sold in their own typeface.
>>
>Can you please post the number?  Thanks in advance.

The number I have is 1-800-344-8335

Mike Lipsie
mikel%dosbears.uucp@ingres.com

amy.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Amy Brown) (04/19/91)

Yes... Someone Emailed me with the number to Adobe.  Call them and request
one, it's free.  the number is 1-800-83-FONTS (1-800-833-6687).
They said it would get here within a week, so I assume you could get one
soon also (logically...)   :)

Amy Brown
amy.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu

"If what's WEIRD to 'normal' people is NORMAL to 'weird' people, then what
is weird and what is normal???"
          -My unanswered life story

"Stay sane inside insanity..."
          -Columbia, RHPS

FLEGLEI@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu (04/21/91)

I thought this was posted before, but here goes again:

Adobe's phone is 1-800-83-FONTS (cute, huh).

U&LC is located at 1 Dag Hammarskjold Plaza in NYC. I don't have the
phone or zip. However, I would recommend NOT getting a free subscription
to U&LC. Their advice on type is poor & out of date. Their type is rotten,
especially the new releases. Just my opinion.

FLEGLEI@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu (05/11/91)

Uck. Don't subscribe to U&lc, it only encourages them. They are the
worst, the absolute worst. Subscribe to Emigre, a magazine that makes
you angry about type. Write them at 48 Shattuck Square, #175, Berkeley
CA 94704-1140. Emigre, the people who do stroke fonts. Emigre, the
peopel who drive you nuts until you realize you CAN read the type.
Emigre. Subscribe. I love it.

Disclaimer: I just subscribe, I have nothing else to do with them.

henry@angel.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) (05/13/91)

In article <91130.230545FLEGLEI@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu>, FLEGLEI@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu writes:

    *  Uck. Don't subscribe to U&lc, it only encourages them. They are
    *  the worst, the absolute worst.

Based on my experiences, not subscribing to U&lc is easy.  A year ago
I wrote them a letter asking them what I had to do to subscribe.
Six month later they sent me a form to fill in.  I still haven't
seen any magazines from them.

	........  Henry