[comp.fonts] Cyrillic sans-serif font?

tp@mccall.com (Terry Poot) (05/03/91)

[Novice Alert!]

I'm in need of a Cyrillic Sans-Serif font of good quality for a reasonable
price (and no, I really don't know what a reasonable price would be!).
This is a font that would be down-loaded to 2 different laser printers from
a VAX-VMS system, so a cartrige type font won't work, I need it in a data
file that I can include into my programs. I also need metric info. I've
never bought a font before, and don't really know what I'm doing here. I
don't read any PC or MAC magazines, but I could probably lay my hands on
some if I knew which to look at.

Both printers will, of course, handle type 1 fonts. I imagine that's what
I need, as I need good quality, but I don't really know for sure. I don't
actually have a laser printer yet, btw, so even if I found a PD font, I
couldn't evaluate it yet :-(. (Of course that doesn't mean I'm not
interested, just that I'd want testimonials.)

Please send me contact info for vendors, or places to look for ads, or
(especially) specific information on a particular font, and where I can
get it. Vendor responses are more than welcome.

This is probably such a common question, email me the answers. I'll
distribute to anyone that wants them, or summarize to the group if there
are lots of requests.
--
Terry Poot <tp@mccall.com>                   The McCall Pattern Company
(uucp: ...!rutgers!ksuvax1!deimos!mccall!tp) 615 McCall Road

dlv@cunyvms1.gc.cuny.edu (Dimitri Vulis, CUNY GC Math) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May3.095810@mccall.com>, tp@mccall.com (Terry Poot) writes:
>[Novice Alert!]
>
>I'm in need of a Cyrillic Sans-Serif font of good quality for a reasonable
>price (and no, I really don't know what a reasonable price would be!).
>This is a font that would be down-loaded to 2 different laser printers from
>a VAX-VMS system, so a cartrige type font won't work, I need it in a data
>file that I can include into my programs. I also need metric info. I've
>never bought a font before, and don't really know what I'm doing here. I
>don't read any PC or MAC magazines, but I could probably lay my hands on
>some if I knew which to look at.
>
>Both printers will, of course, handle type 1 fonts. I imagine that's what
>I need, as I need good quality, but I don't really know for sure. I don't
>actually have a laser printer yet, btw, so even if I found a PD font, I
>couldn't evaluate it yet :-(. (Of course that doesn't mean I'm not
>interested, just that I'd want testimonials.)
>
>Please send me contact info for vendors, or places to look for ads, or
>(especially) specific information on a particular font, and where I can
>get it. Vendor responses are more than welcome.
>
>This is probably such a common question, email me the answers. I'll
>distribute to anyone that wants them, or summarize to the group if there
>are lots of requests.
>--
>Terry Poot <tp@mccall.com>                   The McCall Pattern Company
>(uucp: ...!rutgers!ksuvax1!deimos!mccall!tp) 615 McCall Road
>(800)255-2762, in KS (913)776-4041           Manhattan, KS 66502, USA
Jay Secora's CyrGothic (a PostScript sans-serif font) is available from
LISTSERV@UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU in the RusTeX-L FILELIST.  I'm not sure how
good it is, but at least it's free. :)

Dimitri Vulis
CUNY GC Math
DLV@CUNYVMS1.BITNET DLV@CUNYVMS1.GC.CUNY.EDU

jpb@ashtate (Jim Bankston) (05/12/91)

In article <> dlv@cunyvms1.gc.cuny.edu writes:
>In article <1991May3.095810@mccall.com>, tp@mccall.com (Terry Poot) writes:
>>[Novice Alert!]
>>
>>I'm in need of a Cyrillic Sans-Serif font of good quality for a reasonable
>>price (and no, I really don't know what a reasonable price would be!).
>>This is a font that would be down-loaded to 2 different laser printers from
>>a VAX-VMS system, so a cartrige type font won't work, I need it in a data
>>file that I can include into my programs. I also need metric info. I've
>>never bought a font before, and don't really know what I'm doing here. I
>>don't read any PC or MAC magazines, but I could probably lay my hands on
>>some if I knew which to look at.
>>
>>Both printers will, of course, handle type 1 fonts. I imagine that's what
>>I need, as I need good quality, but I don't really know for sure. I don't
>>actually have a laser printer yet, btw, so even if I found a PD font, I
>>couldn't evaluate it yet :-(. (Of course that doesn't mean I'm not
>>interested, just that I'd want testimonials.)
>>
>>Please send me contact info for vendors, or places to look for ads, or
>>(especially) specific information on a particular font, and where I can
>>get it. Vendor responses are more than welcome.
>>
>>This is probably such a common question, email me the answers. I'll
>>distribute to anyone that wants them, or summarize to the group if there
>>are lots of requests.
>>--
>>Terry Poot <tp@mccall.com>                   The McCall Pattern Company
>>(uucp: ...!rutgers!ksuvax1!deimos!mccall!tp) 615 McCall Road
>>(800)255-2762, in KS (913)776-4041           Manhattan, KS 66502, USA
>Jay Secora's CyrGothic (a PostScript sans-serif font) is available from
>LISTSERV@UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU in the RusTeX-L FILELIST.  I'm not sure how
>good it is, but at least it's free. :)
>
>Dimitri Vulis
>CUNY GC Math
>DLV@CUNYVMS1.BITNET DLV@CUNYVMS1.GC.CUNY.EDU

Some information about available utilities/editors/fonts etc...

A company in Pennsylvania known as XenoTechnix Inc. has been advocating a
standard coding scheme for Soviet Cyrillic computing.  Their standard is
known as CYRILSCII (CYRIL-lic Standard Code for Information Interchange).

Their address is:

XenoTechnix Inc.
2 Neshaminy Plaza 122
Bensalem, PA  19020
U.S.A.

Phone: (215) 639-2996

They publish a catalog of various Utilities/Wordprocessors etc.. for both the
IBM and the Macintosh.

For the IBM only:

UkieType: Billed as "the TRULY 100% bilingual Ukrainian/English word processing
program for PC's"...

The address for UkieType is:

Steven Loboyko
P.O. BOX 703
Elk Grove Village, IL  60009
U.S.A.

Disclaimer:  I have no connection with either of the above.  I post this FYI
only.

Jim Bankston
Ashton-Tate Corporation
6411 Guadalupe Mines Road
San Jose, CA  95120
(408) 927-5328

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (05/13/91)

I'm in need of a Cyrillic Sans-Serif font ...  This is a font that would be
down-loaded to 2 different laser printers from a VAX-VMS system ...

						-- Terry Poot

[XenoTechnix] publish a catalog of various Utilities/Wordprocessors etc.
for both the IBM and the Macintosh.

						-- Jim Bankston

Oh, we play both kinds of music here: Country AND Western!

						-- "Blues Brothers"

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

tp@mccall.com (Terry Poot) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May7.165533.7602@timessqr.gc.cuny.edu>,
dlv@cunyvms1.gc.cuny.edu (Dimitri Vulis, CUNY GC Math) writes:
>Jay Secora's CyrGothic (a PostScript sans-serif font) is available
>from
>LISTSERV@UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU in the RusTeX-L FILELIST.  I'm not sure
>how
>good it is, but at least it's free. :)

I've retrieved the RusTeX-L FILELIST. Can anyone who has used this font
tell me how good it is? (Say, compared to a commercial font.)