[comp.fonts] Font Downloading in PageMaker

graham@cs.washington.edu (Stephen Graham) (05/24/91)

PageMaker for the Mac downloads fonts far too much. Rather than
building a list of all fonts used in the document and then dowloading
each once, it appears to download the font anew each time the font
is called in the document. This greatly slows down printing and
creates overly large PostScript files when printing to disk.
Is there some way to cure this problem?

--

Stephen Graham
graham@cs.washington.edu

tsui@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Yufeng Tsui) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May24.000013.23170@beaver.cs.washington.edu> graham@cs.washington.edu (Stephen Graham) writes:
>PageMaker for the Mac downloads fonts far too much. Rather than
>building a list of all fonts used in the document and then dowloading
>each once, it appears to download the font anew each time the font
>is called in the document. This greatly slows down printing and
>creates overly large PostScript files when printing to disk.
>Is there some way to cure this problem?

You can download the fonts manually to your printer before you do the
printing.  You can use FontDownloader or SendPS.  On the Mac, only the
fonts that are not available in the printer will be downloaded.  I
guess the reason why PageMaker does this is to save some space for the
printer.  You might want to reset the printer after you are done.

--yufeng

gregpen@crash.cts.com (Greg Penetrante) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May24.000013.23170@beaver.cs.washington.edu> graham@cs.washington.edu (Stephen Graham) writes:
>PageMaker for the Mac downloads fonts far too much. Rather than
>building a list of all fonts used in the document and then dowloading
>each once, it appears to download the font anew each time the font
>is called in the document. This greatly slows down printing and
>creates overly large PostScript files when printing to disk.
>Is there some way to cure this problem?

 Stephen,
to download fonts one-at-a-time as to not tax the laser printer's memory. Older
versions of PageMaker allowed you to change printer drivers to change this, but
it seems newer versions after 3.0 only allow you to use Aldus driver.

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield;232HMB;3-6292;;MF62) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May24.190753.11675@crash.cts.com> gregpen@crash.cts.com (Greg Penetrante) writes:
#>In article <1991May24.000013.23170@beaver.cs.washington.edu> graham@cs.washington.edu (Stephen Graham) writes:
#>>PageMaker for the Mac downloads fonts far too much. Rather than
#>>building a list of all fonts used in the document and then dowloading
#>>each once, it appears to download the font anew each time the font
#>>is called in the document. This greatly slows down printing and
#>>creates overly large PostScript files when printing to disk.
#>>Is there some way to cure this problem?
#>>
#>
#> Stephen,
#>to download fonts one-at-a-time as to not tax the laser printer's memory. Older
#>versions of PageMaker allowed you to change printer drivers to change this, but
#>it seems newer versions after 3.0 only allow you to use Aldus driver.

I, too, thought that was the case because the driver option
was removed from the printer option screen. But, if you hold
down the option key while you select Print in 4.0, behold, you get
the Apple driver. And something must have been done to soup
up the Apple driver, which now prints reversals (white on black
type) unlike some older version I used. (I'm using system 6.04.)
I'll have to experiment to see if there's any reason to use
the Aldus driver, which doesn't print in the background.

Steve Goldfield
College of Engineering
UC Berkeley

briand@tekig10.pen.tek.com (Brian D Diehm) (05/25/91)

> Stephen,
>to download fonts one-at-a-time as to not tax the laser printer's memory. Older
>versions of PageMaker allowed you to change printer drivers to change this, but
>it seems newer versions after 3.0 only allow you to use Aldus driver.

PageMaker DOES let you change the printer driver. It's just a little more hidden
since 3.0. The manual DOES describe the technique.

--
-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.                (503) 627-3437        briand@tekig10.PEN.TEK.COM