[comp.fonts] Type 1 vs. Type 3

cabruen@athena.mit.edu (Charles Alan Bruen) (11/24/90)

As a relative newcomer to the net, this may sound like a dumb question
but I have not been able to find the answer. What is the difference to
Adobe Type 1 postscript fonts and Type 3. Always, what is the difference
in copy-protected and non-copy-protected. (besides the obvious answer).
How does this affect their use.

Thanks for your patience

-Charles Bruen
 cabruen@athena.mit.edu

basil@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Basil Hashem) (06/09/91)

Excuse me if this has been asked before.  (Probably).  Could someone please
outline the differences between Adobe Type 1 and Type 3 Fonts?  It would be
appreciated if the answer made specific reference to the Macintosh but anything
is fine.  As far as I know, most Postscript(tm) compatible printers can down-
load Type 1 fonts and that Adobe Type Manager (ATM) supports Type 1 fonts only.
Someone mentioned to me that there may be differences in how the data is
stored (Data fork vs. Resource fork).  I'm not certain how Type 3 fits into
all of this.  Can someone please set me straight on all this?

Thanks.
--
                                 Basil Hashem
                             basil@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

FLEGLEI@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu (06/10/91)

Type 3 is an unencrypted user reserved PostScript font specification
that allows filling and shading (not allowed in Type 1) & some different
stroking specifications than Type 1. Type 3 was Adobe's sop to non-
registered type developers and individuals. Type 1 is encrypted & I
think compressed in the same process allowing smaller and faster trans-
mission & output. It also has some slightly different specs on numbers
of BCP's, I think, than Type 3. All in all Type 1 is effectively the
best PS standard across Macintosh.

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (06/11/91)

FLEGLEI@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu writes:
> Type 3 is an unencrypted user reserved PostScript font specification...

Type 3 can be encrypted or not, as you wish.  The "eexec" operator (encryp-
ted exec) is a separate matter.

>...that allows filling and shading (not allowed in Type 1) & some different
> stroking specifications than Type 1...

Type 1 fonts are intended to produce an outline which can be filled.

The operators available in Type 3 fonts are just the normal PostScript
"red book" operators.

>...Type 3 was Adobe's sop to non-
> registered type developers and individuals...

C'mon now.  Type 3 gives you a way to create fonts using normal PostScript
operators, without all the hair of font hints, special operators and rules,
and limited error checking in Type 1.  While I do think Adobe took too long
to provide the info to let people create Type 1 fonts, there's still a use
for Type 3.  Main point is that it gives you access to the font cache.

>...Type 1 is encrypted & I
> think compressed in the same process allowing smaller and faster trans-
> mission & output...

While all the Type 1 fonts I've seen have been encrypted, I think that's
more a matter of protection than a requirement, and it would be a bizarre
requirement--eexec is really a separate concept from the font mechanism.
(I'm being cautious only because I've not tried an unencrypted Type 1 font.
I have created encrypted Type 3's, tho.)

Type 1 fonts aren't really "compressed" in the usual sense of the word
(where compression is applied uniformly after-the-fact), but the font
mechanism provides a set of shorthand codes for operators, so the effect
is that they're much more compact than if they were written in terms of
normal "moveto...lineto" operators.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...Simpler is better.

erics@erics.infoserv.com (Eric S. Smith) (06/12/91)

basil@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Basil Hashem) writes:

> Excuse me if this has been asked before.  (Probably).  Could someone please
> outline the differences between Adobe Type 1 and Type 3 Fonts?  It would be
> appreciated if the answer made specific reference to the Macintosh but anything
> is fine.  As far as I know, most Postscript(tm) compatible printers can down-
> load Type 1 fonts and that Adobe Type Manager (ATM) supports Type 1 fonts only.
> Someone mentioned to me that there may be differences in how the data is
> stored (Data fork vs. Resource fork).  I'm not certain how Type 3 fits into
> all of this.  Can someone please set me straight on all this?

My understanding (and it is admittedly small) of the difference is
this: Type 3 fonts are pure Postscript. Type 1 fonts are an Adobe
special form of Postscript, which contains "hints", used by ATM for
on-screen scaling.

Eric Smith                 "Read my lips: No nude Texans!"
erics@infoserv.com         -George Bush, clearing up a miscommunication