[comp.fonts] end of Microsoft printer software effort -- bad news for TrueType?

crum@alicudi.usc.edu (Gary L. Crum) (06/16/91)

Microsoft canceled its printer software development effort, according to
an article I read yesterday (using the Company News section of Prodigy which
uses Dow Jones News Retrieval service).  The article mentioned neither
TrueType nor Apple, but it did say that the Microsoft effort failed to make
inroads into territory held by Adobe PostScript.

Does anyone have more info, especially with respect to support and development
of TrueType at Apple?  I have mixed feelings, because I would like to
simplify compatibility issues for computer users, while I don't like to
see ridiculously high prices as a result of a monopoly.

Gary

georgem@microsoft.UUCP (George MOORE) (06/24/91)

In article <CRUM.91Jun15104010@alicudi.usc.edu> crum@alicudi.usc.edu (Gary L. Crum) writes:
>Microsoft canceled its printer software development effort, according to
>an article I read yesterday (using the Company News section of Prodigy which
>uses Dow Jones News Retrieval service). [...]

The news of TrueImage (and TrueType's) death are greatly exaggerated.
The following is a short subsection of a news article written by Rob
Auster of the BIS newsletter service, a NYNEX company:

                  Microsoft Remains True to Printing

             WSJ Article Claiming MS to be Getting Out of
                   TrueImage Business is Misleading

  Last Friday the Wall Street Journal reported that Microsoft had
decided to "discard its ambitious goal of dominating printer
software, a rich niche market now controlled by Adobe Systems,
Inc."  The article implied that Microsoft had declared war on
Adobe but had lost when Apple elected to stay with Adobe.
  The article is misleading and incorrect.  By no means is
Microsoft out of the printer business.

The Facts
  What is true is that Cal Bauer has resigned as the manager of
the Printer Business Unit.  The printer team has been renamed the
"Windows Printing Group".  Some of the engineers from Taipei have
been relocated to Redmond and the group is bigger than ever.
There are currently over 60 people working on printing and font
solutions.  TrueImage is still very much a real technology that
printer vendors will continue to deliver to the market.  Most
importantly, it contains support for TrueType which will be a
cornerstone of Windows 3.1 due to ship later this year.
  REPEAT...Microsoft and their printer partners are still in the
printer business.  It's their focus that's changing.
  By initially promoting the Printer Unit as a separate
standalone group Microsoft mistakenly positioned themselves in
the "clone war" against Adobe.  This was not their intent.
Their intent was to offer Windows users a more effective printing
solution than currently available in the market.  By renaming the
group they now focus on facilitating Windows as a desktop
standard and improving the efficiency of that environment.
  Because of their goal, to get great Windows printing to the
market quickly, Microsoft has started a "Mentor" program where
they will allow third party developers such as LaserMaster and
the Peerless Group to re-license and add value to their TrueImage
code.  You can also expect that the costs of TrueImage to be
extremely low, giving printer vendors the ability to aggressively
price products.

Standard Imaging Model
  Applications make pages and printers print them.  When Adobe
tried to get the world to adopt Display PostScript, it was
correct in predicting the need to link the page as displayed by
the WYSIWYG application with that imaged by printer.
  Unfortunately Adobe hasn't been able to convince the two market
leaders (Apple and Microsoft) that they should use PostScript as
the common imaging model.  Each vendor now has its own imaging
model (QuickDraw and GDI) linked to their graphic user interfaces
(GUI's), System 7 and Windows.  Both Apple and Microsoft have
also adopted the same font mechanism, TrueType, which in the long
run will become a defacto standard.

GUI Printing
  Microsoft believes that GUI printing has major advantages over
the current languages that have evolved from the printer world.
  They will be encouraging the development of a new generation of
printer controllers capable of processing low level GDI ASCII
commands.  These controllers will also support other standard
printer languages such as PCL and PostScript.  Thus applications
will have the option of using conventional drivers that convert
GDI to PCL or PostScript before sending the file to the printer,
or of bypassing these intermediate high level languages and
processing GDI directly.  Windows users will then have a "fast
path" printing from Windows as well as the ability to print to
current printer languages for other needs.
  TrueImage remains a vital part of Microsoft's strategy.  It is
a transition technology that will allow printer vendors to build
products that process PostScript as well as include the ability
to process GDI.  It's aimed at vendors who wish to focus their
marketing on PC Windows users who are looking for today's
standards but desire tomorrow's speed enhancements.