[comp.fonts] Medieval Font

krazykid@bu-pub.bu.edu (Ernest Kim) (06/25/91)

In article <84343@bu.edu>, krazykid@bu-pub.bu.edu (Ernest Kim) writes:
|> I am looking for a font whose capital letters are letters with some kind of picture design behind it.  Something like the drop caps they used in old medival books, with leaves and twigs ... behind it.  Does anyone know of a font that is like this??  And where can Iget it??  Also is it available by ftp??

I guess it's sort of wierd to follow up on my own article, but I forgot to mention a few things.  I need it in a postscript file and for the mac.  Thanks a lot.

Ernie
krazykid@bu-pub.bu.edu

grdetil@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Gilles R. Detillieux) (06/26/91)

In <84475@bu.edu> krazykid@bu-pub.bu.edu (Ernest Kim) writes:

>In article <84343@bu.edu>, krazykid@bu-pub.bu.edu (Ernest Kim) writes:
>|> I am looking for a font whose capital letters are letters with some kind
>|> of picture design behind it.  Something like the drop caps they used in
>|> old medival books, with leaves and twigs ... behind it.  Does anyone know
>|> of a font that is like this??  And where can Iget it??  Also is it
>|> available by ftp??

>I guess it's sort of wierd to follow up on my own article, but I forgot to
>mention a few things.  I need it in a postscript file and for the mac.
>Thanks a lot.

You might want to look into VarahCaps, a shareware font by the prolific
David Rakowski (his "Read Me" files alone are worth a look :-).
It should be available for anonymous FTP on um-mts.cc.umich.edu,
directory pc2, file fo/varahcap (this is not a Unix site).

(I got this information from the shareware font collection for the NeXT on
sonata.cc.purdue.edu.  I don't know how up to date it is, but many fonts in
that collection were converted from Mac fonts from that site.)
--
Gilles Detillieux			<Gilles@scrc.UManitoba.CA>
Spinal Cord Research Centre		or <grdetil@ccu.UManitoba.CA>